Badin 5/15/06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, May 15, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dang gone it my internet service has been down for two days:crazy: and i been about to have a hissy fit to see whats been going on. im addicted to this cite. well back to the fishing:big_smile: i went to badin this morning and found a pretty good bite. i caught three blues and about 15 channels cats drifting the below old whitney area. the biggest blue was 16lbs and i had several channels in the 10-11lb range that put up a real nice fight. i had a 10lb channel and the 16 lb blue on at the same time all by myself. missed a dozen or so fish also. i was drifting over some humps and ledges. the bite really seem to pick up in the 35 ft water range. i also got to save one blues life that was left out in the river channel on a jug that someone left out about 10lbs. i thought it was going to be a giant at first but that gallon jug wasnt any problem for that blue to take under. hate to see that but it was all by itself this morning and nobody around.

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I was gonna run up there this morning, Mon., but my pillow wouldn't turn me loose. Cut bait or live bait ?

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When you drift fish how far off the bottom do you keep your bait? When the water gets deeper do you drop the bait on down? Do you get hung up alot?

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dwreel i know the feeling on the pillow. i was using cut white perch for bait yesterday but i went back today and caught 2 blues biggest 10-12 lbs and caught 12-14 channels cats. the blues are scattered but the channels are stacked up when you drift through them. i had out six rods today and at times i would be getting hits on all of them. catch 2-3 channels at a time and move on. i was using shad today. caught the biggest blue on a 8 live shad that was looking for a 40lber that setted for a lot smaller....lol. there is plenty of shad up at the dam today next to the wall. 2 throws and i was fishing.

as for the drifting i was dragging the bottom with my weight but i us a crappie cork to float the bait off the bottom. i was using 2 oz weigth to keep it on the bottom. you will get hung up doing this so make you a few extra leaders before you go. i make my leaders about 2ft and put the crappie cork about 6 inches from the bait.

5. Riverdog

Riverdog New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Catfishrus, while drifting are you fishing straight down or letting out so many yards/feet of line to help with the hang-ups? Also are you drifting with the current or trolling motor? Thanks.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    riverdog i would rather drift with the wind when we have it but if not i will use the trolling motor. i have never drifted with the current at badin that much. i like to cast my bait out as far as i can and then i will let out some more line. the main thing is to keep the bait on the bottom. like i said you are going to get hung no matter what. i also i like to use light action rods for drifting. it takes some time getting use to it, with the rods bouncing all the time but you will know it when there is a fish on that for sure. i can tell by the fish hitting the rod most of the time if its a blue or channel. the channels will bounce on the rod pretty hard and the blues will take it down and hold it. i have noticed the larger fish alot of times will just grab the bait up and swim along with it, just noticing a slight preasure on the rod and its not bumping bottom anymore.