Badin - 10/16

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jfwillia1998, Oct 16, 2006.

1. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    A buddy from work and I went this morning. Caught 5 channels. Nothing big. Fun anyway.

See ya,
    John

2. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    if you dont mind me asking what did you guys use for bait,did you drift or anchor, i like fishing their i just dont have much luck/skill .

3. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Feel free to ask anything you want - to me that's the main purpose of this website.

We were using cut shad that we caught that morning. I was anchored up at various spots. Perhaps should've tried drifting, but by the time I started really considering it we were gonna have to leave soon. Wasn't worth the trouble. Some of the other guys on this website know Badin much better than I do - I'm still learning it (and have had some bad days out there. You're not alone). Anyway, the fish we were seeing on the graph yesterday were mostly near the bottom (some suspended) in 30 to 40 ft. of water with plenty of bait near by. Caught some on bottom rigs, and a couple on slip cork rigs set about 10 ft. off the bottom. I'm still trying to find the blue cats, and don't know very much about flatheads, but Badin has some huge ones of each kind.

I hope that helps.

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    thanks for the info i should probably stick to one lake and try to figure out how to catch them right now im going somewhere differant every weekend . thanks for the badin info. im trying to learn as much as i can as fast as i can.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    People always wonder why I do so well at BAdin. When i first moved out that why in 1990 I told myself I would stick to one lake and figure it out. Badin had the biggest fish in the area so thats the one I picked. Now many years later it really paid off sticking to that lake for all those years. Now I can go to other lakes and have fun too. Once you figure out a lake then your options open for other places. It just takes time and experience to really get the bigger ones. See-ya.

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Thats a good idea badin is where i feel the most comfortable if that makes any sense i live in china grove and have lakes in every direction i guess thats a good problem .

7. Cat<*(((><Brown

Cat<*(((><Brown New Member

State:
    nc
    How do you guys catch your bait. I found giant bait balls last weekend but they were in deeper water and they just ran out from under the cast net. Any shollow water areas you would be willing to give up where I can catch bait? I catch fish on cut bream but I think to really get the fish I want I will need shad this time of year. Help please!
    :angry:

8. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have caught mine in what I consider deep water for catching bait (16-20 ft.) Might try getting there while it's dark. I've been able to catch it that way every time so far (which is not a whole lot, but enough to satisfy me that it works.)

I know some of the guys have found it near the dam. BE Careful - lot of rocks up there. I haven't gone all the way up there, but some of the other guys have, and it doesn't sound pretty. If you do a thread search on Badin, and read those posts I'm sure you'll see some about getting bait there.

Last suggestion. It's possible that you have a light-weighted cast net. If so, add some weights.

Good luck,
    John

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tyler you can catch bait up at the dam about anytime of day as long as they are pulling water. have to stay on the right had side up there. the water depth is up and down from 5-10ft with a rock bottom. sometimes when they pull alot of water you need to work the deep pockets in there with your cast net. seems like they get out of the main flow of current into the pockets just like catfish. theirs a buoy up there and just stay on the right hand side of it. your fine up to the bouy but after you go past the buoy it starts to shallow(2-4ft) and then drops back off into deep water close to the concrete wall. never go to the left of the bouy. all kind of hidden treasures in the water over there and welcome to the boc.