Bad weather, Great day!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 20, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Had a good day Thursday, the next to last day of Black Powder season. We were catching that storm that killed several people down south. The wind was blowing hard and we were hit with a few inches of rain. Having limited time off to hunt, I decided to go anyway. I laid awake all night trying to come up with a game plan. I have several stand sites on the mountain but I haven't seen many deer until right at dark. I sure didn't want to sit in a tree with the storm raging. Then I remembered the stalls! There is and old board building that used to be used for calves. It has three stalls on the back side. With the doors open, they afford a good view of a partly overgrown pasture going up the mountain side to where the planted pine thicket starts. I propped one of the doors open, stretched some camo cloth across the opening, and set up my folding chair. The rain was coming down in sheets but I was warm and dry. First shooting light was late, about 7am instead of 6:15, but as it started to get light I saw a tail flicker out by the old pear tree in the field. Thru the binoculars I could see a Doe feeding, then another, then another. I watched them until it was light enough to make sure there were no bucks around and then set up my shooting stick, picked up my Ruger 77/50, and got ready for a clear shot. As the biggest Doe stepped into an opening I fired. She went down in her tracks and the others streaked out of the field like little brown missiles! We are allowed two a day here so I stayed put and continued watching the rain fall. About 3 hours later I looked out to the corner of the planted pines where I have a tree stand and saw a buck rubbing a tree right under the stand. I knew it was at least 250 yards and I've never shot a deer at that range with a muzzle loader. The gun is sighted to zero at 200 yards so with a good rest I figured I could make it. I held a little high and fired. The buck ran about 25 yards and piled up out in the field. After waiting just a few minutes, I started out across the field to look at the buck. When I got close, a much bigger buck and two big Does ran out of the pines right behind my stand, jumped the fence, and stopped to look at me before disappearing on to the neighbors property. Oh well, now that my freezer is full, I can concentrate on finding a big buck.
    8p t& doe-2- 2006 00000.jpg

8pt 2006 00000.jpg

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice pics brother! From the reading and the pics, it looks like you obviuosly have some skill in the marksmanship category!

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Nice Shooting Mr. Sutton!! Congrats J.D.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice deer and nice pics. That's a looong shot with a muzzle loader. Were you using powerbelts?

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Excellent markmenship! Congradulations Brother!:big_smile:

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yes, I had just switched to 245 grain hollow point Powerbelts and I'm amazed at how well they work in my gun. The Sabots I was using were pretty accurate but I don't think they had as much knock down power as the Powerbelts so I wouldn't have tried a shot like that with them. I had sighted my gun in by shooting across the same field so I knew the yardage. The buck showed up at the far end of the field which is between 250-275 yards. Luckily, I had a standing broadside shot with nothing between me and the deer, and a rock steady rest. The shot hit perfectly in the center of the chest, right behind the shoulder for a double lung shot.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excellent. Love it when a plan comes together.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Congrats on the deer..

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    excellant shot.congrats on the full freezer.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Way ta go Willie. Wish I could see 250 yards, much less shoot that far!
    :cool2:

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Good report Billie! Thanks for the play by play, that way I can enjoy the hunt and not have to mess with cleaning one and getting it in the freezer.:cool2: Good luck on your trophy hunt. I looking forward to the details and pictures. rep on the way

st

12. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Congrats on the deer and the shooting, but I'm more impressed with the pictures. I've read so many post from you and have not seen to many pictures. I was about to ask you for some pics. So again I say congrats and keep the pics comming!!!!!!!:cool2:

13. BrianM

BrianM New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on your deer

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the deer.Thanks again for sharing!!!

15. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Nice story I appreaciate the effort. Also nice deer good show!

16. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    nice looking deer thanks for sharing the pics that buck looks to have a small body what did it dress out at thanks

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    He was an average yearling deer (1 1/2 yrs.). I didn't weigh him but I would guess around 150#. That's about average for a buck around here. A really big mature buck will go 180-200#, dressed. The biggest I've ever gotten here dressed out at 209# after hanging & drying in a shed for 5 days. He is really big for these parts and had to be mounted on a Mule Deer form. His picture is in the "Virginia Deer" thread. Last Saturday I just got another 200 pound Doe (my second in 20 years) that was bigger then the buck. The really big mature Does in these mountains are harder to get then the bucks because they only go in heat for 24 hours and the rest of the time they are in thickets or are nocturnal.