Bad Starter on my Marine Outboard Motor?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RiverKing, Oct 1, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I had the boat out Saturday, and it started up fine and ran fine. When I was getting ready to head back to the ramp, it wouldnt start. Well took the engine cover off and the starter is not lifting up high enough to make contact with the flywheel. Is this a sure sign that the starter is going bad or could the lifter just be gunked up or could it be something else? I greased it up a little bit and tried to start it again and it was making contact with the flywheel, but it seemed like it didnt have enough power to turn the flywheel over for it to start...Put the charger on the battery, cause i always do that anyways, and when I went out to take the charger off, I tried it again, and everything seemed fine. Is a boat starter like a car starter when it starts going bad?? SOmetimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt?? Or could the grease been what it needed, and I drained the juice in the battery trying to get the starter to make contact after I greased it? I dont want to get stranded on the river and have to troll my way back to the ramp..Is it in my best interest to get a new starter?

2. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what puzzles me is that you say it worked fine with a full charge? A starter is just a high torque electric motor, and if there is not enough voltage it will not operate properly .

I think Id have the charging system checked first.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You always want to oil that worm gear in under the starter bendix a little about twice a year. Take all connections loose and clean with a good file or brush and make sure the ground and hot connections are real clean.
    I would take the battery itself in and have it load tested. Any auto zone store can do this for free. I would not replace that starter just yet.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Okay Bubba, thanks, I will do that...Now what connections are you talking about?? There looks loke there is only 1 wire going to the starter..Or do you mean take the starter apart.

5. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    From that one main cable on the starter ,follow it to the solinoid and check all connections for corrosion and make sure they are tight.
    If you dont have a voltage tester, take the battery to an auto parts and have them check it as well.

I myself, dont believe its the starter.

Let us know

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Start at the starter and clean the connections at the starter and solenoid and the the other end that goes to the battery and the ground also.

You need to load test that battery. You can have 12 volts and it may not be able to hold up long enough to spin that motor the 250 r's it needs to start. Voltage is a small play here its the correct amperage staying up that you need. I don't think its the starter either.I honestly think its the battery or a bad connection.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well I cleaned up the Bendix and it seems to work fine now, it has fired everytime I have turned the key, all the connections look clean(no Corrosion)..I havent taken the battery to get checked yet, and I havent had to charge it up any more either (never had a problem with it before)...Can I stop worrying after I take the battery to get load tested Bubba?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Ain't no biggie. stop worring and also do like I do carry a battery jump pack along

9. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I advise throwing away the wing nuts on all batteries in your boat and install nylok stainless nuts that you have to tighten with a socket or wrench. This is very impotant on the newer Fuel Injected engines which have a lot of critical (and expensive) electrical components. Also the trolling motor loves a solid battery connection.

10. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Throw away the wing nuts on all of your batteries and install stainless nylock nuts that you have to tighten with a socket or wrench. This is very important on newer engines (Fuel Injected) that have very sensitive and expensive electrical systems. Your trolling motor also will love a solid battery connection.

11. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I thought it didn't post on the first try.

12. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks to everyone that gives all the good advice on so many topics on this forum. I just experienced the "stuck bendix" on my 92 Johnson 25. Was able to keep moving around the lake and get back to the dock using a pull rope. Thanks to the great advice on this forum I was able to fix the problem with zero effort and zero $$$.