Bad start to a fishing trip,almost got skunked to boot.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, Jul 18, 2006.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I went Saturday morning with my cuz to dig green worms and catch some bluegills and warmouth for bait.Not even 5 minutes after I got out of the car to go down to the river bank,I got STUNG twice hard(didn't see it but it felt like hornet stings) on the back of both my calves.It was almost up in the bend of my knee on each one.I've been stung several times but I had never felt a sting like those! We continued on digging for green worms,it was almost impossible to kneel down to get the worms because of the pain,itching and burning.We only managed about 2 dozen green worms so we headed off to the pond to catch bait.Got to the pond and had forgotten the bubbler,so we had to hurry.Heat index was abt 105* and was miserable.The pond was down about 3' and muddy and slick.Needless to say,I slipped down the bank and was up to my knees in water with about 4" of mud.Got about 3 dozen gills and warmouths and went home.I lost about 4-5 of them before the next morning.
    We headed out to Greenbo Lake state park to try our luck.Got set up about 4am and my cuz started catching several small ones.I was fishing with cut shad and gills,he was using green worms and crickets.He ended up with about 9-10 channels(good eaters) and a nice flattie(approx.8-10lbs on a gill).He took off to the car and his clicker started,being the nice guy I am I set the hook.My only fish of the day...a 2lb channel.:sad2:
    We were only able to fish until about 1pm,It was hotter than the previous day and my stings were giving me fits.3 days later,their still burning and itching like crazy and both my calves are bruised.:sad2:
    Sorry for the long rambling post,I just wanted to share this experience with the family.I hope you all had a better and more productive weekend!!!

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    John that sounds like a rough day brother. You cant say you did not get any bites. LMAO :tounge_out:

Guess that was bad humor, glad ya made it out alive hoss. Better luck next time.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    John,

I'll take the stings to get a few cats. I've been skunked the last trwo times out (I don't count the gar).

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    2 good bites the day before we went even...LMAO

Yep,its still rough...LOL! I sure hope to do better next time.Whenever I go fishing with him It seems like something happens.Kinda like flathunter and mellon.Last year we were getting bait out of a creek and there was some broken up concrete slabs on this steep bank.Idiot me thinks thats a deep hole down there so I'll try to get down there to try it.BIG Mistake!!! I took one step on the slab of concrete and slipped.Fell on my right side and slid down the broken up concrete to the creek.It took my cuz and his buddy to full me back up.I had bruises and scratches the whole way down my right side.Had lots of other things happen to me or him when we go.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I think I'd rather get skunked several times in a row than get stung again...

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    With the bruising, it might be spiders.....

7. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That sounds like one of my fishing trips. Getting skunked is not fun. At least you caught one.

8. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Or red hornets. They only kind of bee, wasp, or hornet I have been stung by that took 5-7 days for the effects to go away.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm pretty sure I got a glimpse of something flying.Thanks,I'm keeping an eye on them and taking tylenol and benadryl.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats true,I just wish it would have been on my pole...LOL

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a very good possibility,Those were the hardest stings I've ever had.It felt like a hot nail being driven in...

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hope your not allergic to any kind of stings, could be a very bad thing. But atleast yall caught some catfish.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Usually not too bad,mainly just pain,itching,burning and my calves swelled a bit.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I honestly thought abt that,It was just so hot out and I couldn't have done it.Yep,the top part of my calves,just below the bend of the knee...That is a very sensitive part.

15. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC

John, are you offering a class in how to deal with stings on the back of the legs??? Not sure I'd want to be in the classroom......

:eek:h:

ps, is that the technique you use for firefighting?????