Bad situation - Boating title?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bigones, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy brother's I am in a bad situation here. I bought a boat from a guy that didn't have a tittle he said it was a salvaged boat that was homemade and all I would need is the bill of sell. Well come to find out I have to have a title. He had the boat regestered before but i guess he just took the # from another boat. I can't find any #'s on the boat exept I found a tag saying it was made by Whites fiberglass in florida. I tried calling them but they are out of business now. I don't know what to do I have a pretty nice boat that I can't do anything with. Does anyone know what I can do? I really need some help!!!!!!!! Thanks

2. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    As far as I am aware, if you do not have the title you cannot register it. You could in theory use it on private ponds but that is about it. My suggestion is to call your local title office and see if they can help you. If not, take your bill of sale back to him and demand your money back.

3. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The highway patrol might be able to issue you some numbers for it.I know in Missouri they can for trailers,dunebuggies,and stuff.I bought a car once and it had some #s wrong on the title and I called them and they came to my house and corrected the problem.

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I did a quick Google for you and came up with this link:

http://www.ohiodnr.com/watercraft/reg/regreqs.htm

It states that if you are not able to get a title from the previous owner or manufacturer, you can get a temporary 45 day permit to operate the boat as you pursue the title through the Division of Watercraft Titling at 614-265-6480

(what can I say...It is a slow day at work :cool: )

5. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Calll the div of watercraft,they will tell you what to do.Mite have to do a title search?

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't think we have boat titles here in tennessee, we just have a bill of sale. Would that mean I can't sell my boat to someone in a state that requires a title?

I would call the police because if a title is required the person that sold the boat to you would be required to provide you with said title.

Danny

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    In Indiana you can file for a lost title. The Co's can come out give you new sieral #s. Call your conservation officers and they will know what to do.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill

8. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Just called dow,they said a title search has to be done and the guy you bought it from has to get the title for it first.They also said it is a felony in Oh to sell a boat without a title.If he does not return your money or get the title for it just let them know they will persue it for ya.

9. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks brothers, I got a title search in the mail. Hopefully it wont take to long to find something out. I really apprecaite all of yalls help. I would hate to have the law involved so hopefully everything works out. Thanks again

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I guess I am in the same boat your in... well, not the same boat, but the same situation... LOL. I got a boat from a guy that wheels and deals in boats. He buys them from KS, OK, TX, AK...mostly for the motors, which he re-sells. The boats went to a graveyard on his farm... Well, now he is getting up in years and wants to sell the farm, so he is giving the boats away... the one I got had Texas registration which expired in 1996. The numbers are still on one side of the boat, so I'm using them and the hull identification numbers to have a title history ran through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. Hopefully I can find the last registered owner, and if he is still alive, get him to apply for a lost title in my behalf. Thats the best senario. The worst is that I have a 16' bait tank in my back yard. LOL

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Errr. Sell it to a NC resident who can salvage title a boat with little or no problem especially an old one. Pay that person's expenses and property tax and haul it back home with a title to transfer.

Man, life is so easy!!!!

12. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I would get find some one with and old boat and get the nimbers off it, then you can file for a lost title and you should be good to go. I bought an old jon boat without a title and i just had to take a picture of the vin number and they gave me one.

13. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just got a letter back today from the ohio department of natural resources. They said they ran the serial # I gave them and the # that where on the boat. It cam back that the #'s that where on the belonged to a different boat that wasns't even the same length and the serial #'s they couldn't find anything on them. Said that there wasn't a title for it. They said now I have to take it in to be inspected. Don't know what is going to happen now. I guess I will call an make an appointment for them to look at it. Hope all goes ok. Maybe they will give me something to where I can have a tittle made up.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Boat theft is a big problem in places like Florida where there are so many boats.
    They steal them and haul them north and sell em.
    The problem is that very few states actually work with other states on titles and histories of titles on boats. It's not like a car.

Another thing just as bad that happens is the hurricane boats usually wind up scattered across the country being sold to unsuspecting people.
    Boats that have been submerged in saltwater.

Titling a boat is real easy in states like here in NC. I've salvage titled several over the phone with a credit card or check.

15. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol its funny fou say that cause the maker of the boat says florida on it. I wonder if thats the case here.

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    bigones it sounds like to me you should sell your boat to Markj for a dollar and buy it back from him for 50.00. i bet you'll be better off that way than you will before the ohio dmv gets thru with you. oh well its just a thought.

17. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Slabmaster I think you may be right. This is turning out to be some kind of a headache. I don't know whats going to happen they almost got me scared to go. It would really be bad if they found it was stolen and wanted to charge me with something like recieving stoling property. Then I would be out more money and even worse without the boat.

18. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i doubt it is stolen . like MARKJ said boats arent like cars a lot of states ddont title boats and a lot do . to me a situation like you in is just a good oportunity for ssomeone down at the dmv to spread a little misery around. i probably shouldnt say that but ive been thru what you are going thru and there are easy ways and hard ways to solve problems like yours. pm brother mark and ask him if hes interested in a good deal on a used boat.