Bad night on the water

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Aug 22, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    well gang it fills good to be on dry ground
    last nite got the scare of my life. went out on the missouri, drove half way up to alton stop and fish a bit. the boat ran fine all the way up there. it had its normal shacks and rattles here and there. didnt think anything about it.
    so about 9:30 we thought we better take it in. again things went fine, all the way to the ramp at c. bottoms. there was a boat loading up. he took up the whole ramp, so we just cruzed around till he was done. then it happen, the motor went dead:eek:oooh: what the..... tried to re-start nothing. by that time we drift back into the current. it was strong. drop the anchor. sit there for a min thinking how in the heck we 're going to get back to the ramp. (we, my brother,and two sons) it was only two boats there last nite me and the guy who by now was back on riverview. panic set in. didnt want my boys to see me panic, so i tried to stay cool:cool2:, and told them everything was alright.
    I walk to the back of the boat call 911..... yep...... 911........lol
    they sent out the rescue unit from wood rivers somewhere. it took them 3 1/2 hours to get there, but when i saw thier head lights you would have thought i won the powerball or something. they towed us about 100yds to the ramp and made sure we got the boat hooed up. needless to say I am now boatless till i get that thing look over. didnt have one promblem sunday have no clue what went wrong. if any of you guys need a fishing buddy give me a buzz. but not to loud my ears still ringing from my wife chewing my ears off last night for keeping the boys out like that

(p.s. If your loading your boat, and another ones coming in share the ramp plz)

2. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Glad you made it onto shore safely. Maybe you should play powerball.If you win you can buy a ton of new boats lol.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Man Willie, sorry to hear about your troubles. Makes it especially bad that your sons were in the boat. Glad everyone made it ok.

4. grinnel

grinnel New Member

State:
    Pool 25, Mississippi MO
    sorry to hear that man. Glad yall made it back o.k. That is one reason why I'll always have a trolling motor on my boat. I had motor troubles once in the middle of december during duck season. Whiteout conditions on the mississippi and my motor locked up just north of Turner Island. Not another sole on the river. Ended up trolling all the way back to the Foley boat ramp. Pucker factor of 8 I'd say...

grinnel

5. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I'm glad to hear it was just your boat that was out of commission. It was around midnight last night when we saw the emergency team put in at the dam. Be rest assured they were hustling.....so, we didn't know what was causing all of the comotion and feared the worse. Good to hear everyone is safe.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Don't worry tonight when I hit the Powerball, I will buy you a new boat. :cool2:

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Im almost sure they were putting in to get us

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    thanks buddy Im gonna hold you to that.......lol

9. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Sorry to here about your boat but glad everyone is alright!! Hope your next trip goes well. Maybe the fishing god will reward you with a hog!!:big_smile:

10. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    No sweat. There will be plenty to spread around lol. :wink:

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Glad to hear there was somebody to help out! I always have the cell phone with me, never know what could happen.

If it would have happened in the KC area last night, you would have had plenty of help. Missouri Wator Patrol ran us off our first spot, cause the Prez was in town. Wanted to know what our "intentions for the night" were. Guess he didn't notice eight rods hanging off the boat!:smile2:

12. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'm glad you and your boys made it home intact. This just goes to show why you want to make sure you have your cell phone with you and fully charged when you're on the water.

Good luck with repairing the motor.

-- Rich

13. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    glad you made it back in safe an sound been there before

14. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    WHAT? Just when I thought I'd heard it all...wow.

15. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Glad to see everyone made it back safe!

16. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Great to hear you fellas made in home safely, Willie! You did the right thing calling 911!

Dave

17. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Heading out to install my marine radio in a few. A radio could come in handy in a situation like that. My radio has a panic button that automatically sends my boat identification, and my gps location should I ever need to use it. Glad everything turned out well.

Dan

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sorry for the run of bad luck Willy. Kudos for keeping your cool, and being smart by dropping the anchor and riding it out. That was a smart move. I'm sure you kids didnt mind too much, and they probably learned alot. Nice Work.

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That reminds me Cuz, would you share that list of numbers you have in case that happens to me down at Platin? I got your number & Gary's, but thats all.

Willie, Cuz keeps a list of numbers to call of fellow boaters he knows that fish in the same area as we do. Wouldn't be a bad idea for you to find some numbers yourself. Anyone who has mine can rest assured I would come out to help them in a heartbeat.

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Willie, glad to hear you guys made it out OK. Nice job keeping calm in front of the kids, I don't know how the little guys can pick up on it when I'm nervous about something but they sure can. Hope it's nothing major with the boat. Good Luck!

Branden