Bad Night but Good Morning

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by fullstringer, Jul 3, 2009.

1. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well we fished, and fished and fished some more last night with no luck anywhere. Then at about 5:30 this morning the alarm clock (aka baitclicker went off) and the wait payed off it was a Flat that weighed 19lbs 2oz. Then no sooner did we sit down and we caught another it weighed between 4 and 5 then after the sun was full up we caught a third 7 1/2lber. The big one got the best of us by throwing our digital scale in the water then eating my cell phone after it fell in the hole. :angry: Eventhough we lost a scale and a phone it turned out to be a pretty fun night I attached some pics.

P.S. We were between Wabash and Lagro and the flatheads are starting to show indications fo spawn up here.

Attached Files:

2. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Nice fish, thanks for the pics, congrats!

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Release the fish, then call you're phone whenever you're in the area...you'll find your fish! :smile2:.....I know, I know...it wont work. I had to throw it out there anyways! You know someone was going to!:smile2: nice catch!

4. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    congrats on the flatties :angry: that sucked bout the scale :confused2: dam even the cell phone too

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep. it was a LONG dull night but a near 20 pounder always makes it worthwhile! Of course the 2 mile boat ride upstream at 11pm in low flow conditions was kinda' exciting. Especially when the bighead carp started just about jumping in the boat. Man, I knew they were up here but not in those numbers. OH, we also saw 3 river otters -- a mother and two young! THAT was very cool!

Andy didn't mention that we actually recovered the scale. We spotted it 15 minutes later floating against a log on the other side of the boat?!?!?! I'm still hoping its going to work but I'm not holding my breath...wish I could say we had the same luck with Andy's phone!

Back out again Monday...we'll keep you posted.

6. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Make sure the fish is still in the area, those roaming charges will be a bear on your next bill.:crazy:

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I wonder if that fish is a boc member? Then it could post the picture of the fisherman it caught.:smile2: Nice catch guys. Other than the phone and scale mishap souned like it was a fun night.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catches and what sounds like a pretty exciting trip!

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Get out there and find that phone! If you don't, the flat flat who finds it will give your boat number and description to all the fish he knows. ... .

10. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    Congrats on the catches guys!!! Thanks for the photos!

11. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    You fish this area often what is the deepest hole you've found in this stretch? Just a depth not asking you to give up a secret spot.:wink:

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bruce,

We've seen quite a few miles of the Wabash up here and there aren't may deep parts. Average depth is 1.5 to 2 feet...occassionally we'll find a stretch of 3-foot water and some 4 foot holes. But, the deepest holes we've found are 7-8 feet. We've found one very small 10 foot hole. So, I think the answer to your question is, a deep hole up here is 7 feet.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've Never fished the Wabash, I always thought it was a bigger river than the White, I've always pictured it somewhere between the White and the Ohio... don't know why. I can't even remember seeing it, though I know I have lol. I gotta get up on that end of the state some.

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    My scale still works! I let it dry out since Thursday, put the batteries back in today, and it worked fine! :big_smile: I know a new one is only ~$17 but I really didn't want to have to buy another!

DrPepper, you should try to make it up here some day.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lucky you on the scale. lol. I really want to get down there and fish with you... hopefully sometime before the end of the month. I can only give short notice though- I can never plan anything more than a day or two ahead of time if that... Like I told Tim, I'll have to pm or call and say... "hey man, ya wanna go fishin' tonight?" lol

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    he did that already, then he found out where i was:crazy:. you better make it a 2 day trip at least bill. the trout/flathead combo trip i serve up is a real winner. lol you just call us brother and your in.

17. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks matt, Ive only bank fished the river but I thought it was a shallow stretch. AS kids in the 60's we walked just about all the way from Andrews to lagro and never saw a deep hole.
    I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard more than once that just to the west of Richvalley there is a 35-40' hole but I can't swear to it.

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've spent some time in that area...if there's a hole that deep it must be farther west than I've been b/c there's nothing even close to that in the areas I've seen.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    around Peru are supposed to be some scour holes guys. cant verify that 100% though. 30/40 ft reported to me. seams outa place but you never know with a river.:wink: i know for a fact,after a rain, you will score at the huge creek just east of Peru though! use google earth guys and fish those bend holes.

20. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice fish.