Bad news for Elwood Reservoir

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bownero, Apr 5, 2008.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Elwood Res. in Gosper Co. Nebraska has suffered from low water levels in recent years. At full pool there is 1200 surface acres of water. Now in 2008 the water level is at 12% holding capacity. Elwood Res. was built in the early 1970's for the use of irrigation. This lake was stocked with fish and really took off as a fisherman's paradise. Many species of fish including catfish(channels and flatheads), wipers, white bass, walleye, musky, crappie, carp and a few other. The Central Public Power District is responible for introducing water into this lake every year. They are saying do to water shortage this lake may dry up. Talk is they are making this an "all you can catch" lake. Good possibilty of a major fish kill this summer if actions aren't taking now. There is other lakes that are suffering from water shortages from the same source. Hopefully mother nature will be good to us and supply the water we need to keep our lakes at substainable levels. Quite a shame to see this happen. I have posted some pictures of the lake taken last year to show the severity of the shortage of water.

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Some Photos of Elwood Res.

Attached Files:

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    More photos of Elwood Res.

Attached Files:

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry to hear about he lake

5. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks for the pics. I was digging through some fo mine looking for Elwood Pics. to some look like we were standing in the same place. Hard to watch somthing like this happen and feel so useless,as far as trying to help. We need a sure fire rain dance or somthing !!!

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    dang that sucks! ive never fished there but i was hopin to sometime this summer, i know that harlans almost completely full now but elwood shouldve gotten some water too.. thats wierd

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Wil! Elwood and Harlan Co. Lake get the water from 2 completely different sources. Elwood gets its water from the Tri Country Canal. Johnson Lake, Elwood Res. Plum Creek, Gallagher's Canyon, Midway and Jeffrey Res. are on this system. Lake McConaughy feeds this water into the canal. Harlan receives its water from Republican River all the way into Colorado. We rely on mountain snow and substanial rainfall to help the lakes to have reasonable amounts of water. Hopefully it's a blessing that Wyoming had massive amounts of snowfall last winter and will help with the water supply for these Nebraska lakes including Elwood especially and the other lakes on the system. Whatever the reason, I believe the water should be distrubuted more smartly into these lakes to help the enviroment of the fisheries, even though Elwood is used strictly for irrigation. It's a darn good lake for fishing too and losing this lake will be a crying shame!!

8. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thats true for Harlen , I have been told that prairie dog (cove) and the creeks that come into Prairie dog actually bring in more water than the Republican River. Don't know if thats true or not. Was also told yesterday that Harlen was 4 feet from being full. Hope to get that way soon. ( NOT FULL !! TO THE LAKE ) They got a lot of rain last year, hope mother nature saved some for this year to. For the whole state :0a20:

9. Thedue

Thedue New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Harlen is now less than 3 feet from full pool. Hard to believe after a few years ago. I tried to get on Elwood last year, but unloading a heavy boat in shallow water over mud... don't work. Sure hope she fills up.

10. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I had heard that they were going to start putting some water in Elwood soon anyone know if they have or not

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    HERE OUR LAKES ARE DRING UP , BUT YOU STILL SEE PEOPLE AND BUISNESS STILL WATERING THE STREET'S,SIDE WALK'S AND THE DRIVEWAY'S AND I HAVE NEVER,AND I SAID NEVER SEEN CONCRETE GROW SO WHAT A WASTE OF WATER

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Not Yet! Was there this weekend. You can put boats in there. Just be careful! Game and Parks laid some white rock down so it is easier to get a boat into the lake. I will post when the water is going in!! Stay tuned!!

13. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    Elwood is getting lots of water now.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes! Elwood has received water since the Saturday night of Memorial Weekend. Via gravity flow. As of last week the pumps were turned on to pump in as much of the excess water they can. Due to the terrential rains (floods), there wasn't much of a choice, so Elwood Res. is getting it. Not sure if water is going in now at the present time. I know for a fact the lake levels have risen over 15' since the beginning of the introduction of the water. The catfish have been going pretty good in the early morning. Caught a 13.5 Channel last Sunday morning. COOL! Hopefully the lake can receive more water this year. Stay tuned!

Thanks..:big_smile:

15. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Great news Mark thanks !!!

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Just talked to a friend of mine in Elwood, Ne. He said there is no more water being released in to the lake. Oh Well! At least a guy can get his boat launched now. Will have to try it next weekend!! :wink:

Thanks.
    Mark..

17. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    now all they need to do is move the whole lake closer to me so I can fish it :smile2::smile2::smile2: