BAD LUCK

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by flat fighter, Sep 2, 2008.

1. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well sun morning myself delbert bumbleshoot and river runner 85 decided that we would try our luck on the mo. we launched at kaw point and proceeded to work our way up to the wing dams west of parkville. got to parkville just fine so we just kept going to up past 435 That is when our luck changed. about a 1/3 mile past 435 we hit a log coming down river that was floating just under the water by the time we saw it it was too late. we didn't just tap it either we smoked it so we pulled over to the nearest wingdam anchored up and checked everything out. it all looked good so we thought so we just proceded to throw the lines out and continue our day. we fished there for about hour or so with no luck so we left and started to head back down river everything seemed to be working fine till just on the west side of the 435 bridge we discovered that we had spun the prop and had to idle to be able to move or steer at all. So the desicion was made that we would head for the ramp. It took us 30 minutes to get up there and 2 1/2 hours to get back:angry: so we anchored up in the kaw by a big brush snag and fished the rest of the day with 1 channel and a gar to show for all are effort. Needless to say we all had fun that day but a change of luck is needed bad. and it was a good reminder to watch for debris while out on the river cause it is not always easy to see. just thought i would share some of our troubles with you guys if nothing else it is good for a laugh:smile2:

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I don't think any of us will laugh about loghittingboatwows, it's not funny at all. Sorry to hear about your luck that day, but, my guess is it was better than working:wink:

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Sometimes if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all!!!

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I couldn't believe those little 3' gar were hitting that big 7" goldfish so much for the big bait =big fish theory at least in this case

5. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    Guess they were hungry. taking the prop to the shop fri They said 45 for new hub and installation not to bad i thought

6. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    any day of fishing is better than working

7. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey thanks for taking me out anyway Trevor.At least we found out what was eating our goldfish for sure. I'd be wondering if we hadn't caught that little bait stealing Kansas river Brown Trout.I feel better that I'm not the only one to break stuff.Nice to get out on the river during the day just to get a feel for it.At least we had gone upstream not downstream would have really taken a long time to get back upstream.Was a lousy weekend didn't see a single dove till we got back to town.And got skunked twice...one time wasn't even on the river.

8. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Our luck does need to change. But everyone keeps telling me it takes time and patience. Well friends my patience is starting to run out. Don't get me wrong, I love to go out and get a line wet. But I need to start catching them. At this point I don't care if it is only a small one. I know my day will come. As for the log thing, that scared the S**T out of me.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Here is a pic of the little bait stealing little brown trout. He got a 10/0 Kahle through the beak for his troubles. It was a great Jimmy Houston hookset too bad it wasn't a big flattie or blue.:sad2:

Attached Files:

10. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Eric, I do have to say that was a good hook set. It is sad that he went through all of that trouble for that nice goldfish not meant for him.

11. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Jeff let's go catch 40 or 50 channel cats that will pump your confidence back up.There were a bunch of big ones surfacing maybe we could throw out some live baits for them and put the rods in the holders while we catch the eaters with turkey liver.Figure out when you can go and let me know.

12. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I will definetly do so. The funny thing about it is my patience runs out very very fast. But when I am out there on the water nothing seems to matter. I think that is why I keep going. Everytime I am out there I worry about nothing. Its just nice to go out and do some fishing. Now the next thing is I need to catch me some.

13. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    At least y'all got back OK, not to mention the fact that you caught SOMETHING.....At least it was just the prop and not the whole bottom end. Somebody was smiling on y'all that day....:roll_eyes: