Bad Luck Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fire-Man, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK--I Told everyone I was New to Catfishing. I have been several times in the last two weeks and have not caught or even got a run---------Am I doing something Wrong?? I am Fishing different landings on the Little Pee Dee River(LPD)-----using Live bream-----I try casting close to the bank---casting towards the middle and as far as I can cast. I cast to spots where the still water meets running water. For the ones of you that don't know this rivers water moves app 1 to 2 miles per hour(My Guess). I am using 4 rods in rod holders. My GF and I get there a couple hours before dark and usually stay till midnight----We have a good time roasting marshmallows, hot dogs----mercy last night we had some deer sausage she pre-cooked--warmed up over the camp fire, coffee, but we are getting bored with Bank Fishing. My rods Rarely get a tap and loose the bait. We wanted it to be our New Hobby, but I guess if things don't pick up------WE will just set bush/set hooks with the boat when we can--Its just we wanted to bank fish alot so we can have our 2 dogs with us and enjoy the fire, plus we live 35 minutes apart(Alot of boat trailering), but both our homes are close to the same river--her on the upper part where LPD meets Lumber River, me on the lower part where LPD meets the Big Pee Dee.

My main pole set-up is about 2ft of line from my hook to a swivel, then a 2 to 4oz weight above the swivel where the line can slip through the weight. I really would like to catch one once and a while. Do any of you fish by the "Feeding Times" that you see in the paper/books----does it work?

2. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well if you have a 2 foot leader and the current is moving well it might be spinning your bait underwater 24/7,try cutting about 6 inches off and see if that works and are u cutting the tails off? they catch the current pretty easy too.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just because there is water does not in itself mean there are fish. Fish are like us, in the sense they will frequent areas they like. The area your fishing may not support small bait fish, it may not have structure, it could be too deep, it could be too shallow. I think your on to something, but I would not give up yet. Move around...1 or 2 miles can make a world or difference, as well as 1 or 2 months in the same local.

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hmmmmmm------Never heard of cutting the tails off--------What part do you cut off-----on the live bream? I do have a couple rods with 12 to 18" Leaders. 99% of the time after my bait has been in the water a hour, I will reel in my line to check it and the bait is still on the hook and alive. What part of SC are you in? Thanks Randy

5. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    im in pickens south carolina,and i dont know why but the tails always catch the current.if your fishing live the cut could cause to much stess and kill the bait,instead take some sizzors and cut the fin in lines

.................)
    .................<<<<<<<<cut
    .................<<<<<<<<cut
    .................)

back fin^

the cuts will let the water flow through the fin freely and it wont turn as bad.

gosh i read to many book haha

where u from?

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    also try different baits....liver ,,punchbait...smaller livebait,,,cutbait....try all different options before ya call it quits

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Brother my luck has been lousy all year also. Just keep at it, they are bound to be hungry in your area.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hang in there Bro One reason You cut there fins of is you want them to breed it useing 4 rods I would try experment a little try night nightcrawers cutbaits cut one of them bluegils heads chicken livers etz`GOOD LUCk IM Sure SOme Other Bros Could give you some pointers:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For some reason this year Nightcrawlers have been productive for me... And i agree dont use such a big leader.. 8" to 10" is all i use unless im fishing still water.. ( Lake ).. then i will use about a foot to 14 inches... but again i agree try using all the different type baits you can till something works... Good luck....

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    As close to the river as you live, try baiting a couple holes for a week then fish it. A sack full sour corn would be good to start with.
    Good luck