bad...good...horrible

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bullseye017, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am 16 and live in Ohio. This weekend(Nov 17,18) is the youth gun season. I hunt hard all bow season, but when I get the chance to trade the bow for a gun I do it. This morning My dad told me to go to a tree I have never been in before. I got up in it and realized that I didnt like the spot at all, but I decided to stick it out........at about 9 o'clock I looked up and a nice buck was running towards me. I had passed on a lot of little 4 points and stuff in bow season and I knew that this deer was a lot nicer. It looked like it had a 17"+ spread with about 9 or 10 points, but the tines were all short. It ran almost right under me and stopped. I stood up and when it about 30 yards angling away I shot. He reared up and ran about 10 yards........anyway I ended shooting 2 more times and I think missed with those two because I was shook up. I never saw him leave a thicket in front of me, but he did. We got down and had good blood at first which got Us excited. We ended up tracking him for over 250 yards and the blood trail dwindled away. Me and my dad walked the whole upper half of the property (80 acres total) with no luck. The hunt went from not good to awesome to the worst day of my life.

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If you're satisfied that you did all you can to recover the buck, then shake it off. It happens to everybody. I lost the first deer I ever shot, and found it 5 months later. Never a good feeling, but it does happen.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Sorry Nick. Boy that's where a good mannered dog comes in real handy. Not for running the deer, but for helping you find one down. You still got some season left don't ya?
    Indiana gun started today, but I haven't been out yet. Seems like most accidents happen the first couple of days, LOL. I may even just wait for muzzleloader season.
    Hope better luck comes at ya.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've allways heard that if ya wait till ya cant stand it ,then wait a while longer . then go look after a bowshot. ,good luck at any rate this season.

5. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i know that feeling,i feel for ya bro.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear that you lost him. I lost one myself this year. Boots is right. I used to raise Blue Ticks and had one trained as a blood trailer. That dog was great. if you drew blood on a deer, that dog would find it. It always amazed me that he could ignore all the other scents and follow the wounded deer. Anyway, shake it off. There are plenty more deer where that one came from. Remember, don't shoot at the whole deer, pick a spot and hit that spot.

7. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    NEVER sqeeze off a round unless you know you have a kill shot,period! I can not say that enough! You probably gut shot the animal and is now suffering to its death.I did the same thing when i was 15, hunting with my grandfather, we tracked that animal for 2 miles then the blood trail was gone.I lost a lot of respect from my grandfather because of that. Never and i mean never pull that trigger unless you know you have a kill shot. The main thing i was taught as a hunter is to dispatch the animal in the most humane way you can. Put yourself in the deers position. Think about it!

8. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didnt gut shoot him because the whole back half of his body was being blocked by a tree...........He was angling away hard and I put it right behind his shoulder.......I think I mostly missed the vitals on the first shot because of the angle he was at........thanks to all that replied

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    to suggest that every lost deer is gut shot or the result of a slob hunting is assuming a hell of alot.i have been hunting for over thirty years and in that time i have lost 4 or 5 deer and i assure you that my cross hairs or pin was exactly where it should have been,otherwise i was certain it was kill shot.arrows and bullets do funny things when entering an animal and its not always predictable just because the aim is right.this kid put up a stand in the right spot outsmarted the deer and made the shot which im sure he thought was a killing shot and lost the deer which is a heartbreaking event.then you come along and acuse him of gut shooting that deer on top of that,man thats out of line bigtime in my book!

10. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Take it easy on him there Rich-- we all understand the emotion that comes with the territory when deer hunting...and that's before we are ever presented with the shot. Even guys with nerves of steel feel the twinge of buck fever when they have a nice buck in the crosshairs. I know that most of us have misjudged a shot at one time or another, yourself included, hopefully we all put as much effort into following up on the job as Bullseye did.

Nick- It happens. I never found my first deer, I spent an entire night looking for her, and part of the next day. While it can be a sickening feeling, it puts it into perspective the next time a deer steps into your crosshairs, whether it be bow season or firearms; that little bit in the back of your mind makes you a whole lot wiser and more experienced and will hopefully help you the next time you get back in the stand.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Being that I have been in the deers place,I think I should be able to respond without drawing too much ire.First,I have never understood how most deer are shot due to the excitement displayed by most hunters.I was taught that this is normal by the US government.This is recognized and the treatment for such is started in Boot Camp for everyone.Very few hunters in mankind's history are or were professional riflemen.A few times I have been fortunate enough to watch some of the best in the world in the ratings at the time.Even the best occasionally had a flyer when they were doing everything right.There were many reasons why.Most reasons were only suspected as most of the evidence had been destroyed at the instant of firing.And remember.These riflemen were shooting at a range with the help of the best of equipment while shooting the most accurate rifles in existence.Now I will say that I think some that have posted here on the BOC are far better shots than these competitors and world famous record holders have ever been.I have never understood why these great shots are not competing.I guess that they are humble and wish to do their own bragging about their skills rather than have the world do it for them.I have personally butchered a 4 prong White Tail Deer that we could find no hole in the hide until skint.The heart had one hole in it.A 00 buckshot was in the heart valve when I split it open to clean it.Now this deer had been shot a little over 1 1/4 mile away from where he fell.The licensened surveyor hunting with us got out his maps and determined this so it was no guess.I was 14 at the time and have always remembered how much determination a deer can have.As long as you do what you should each and every time you hunt or with everything else in life for that mater,you can stand proud.I am sorry that you are not up there with the perfectionist and have to live as a mere mortal.We have so many "Snipers" in so many forms in this world as you are learning from experience.Too bad you are not a "know it all" or you would be born knowing everything and this could not possibly have happened to you.You hang in there you hear.Your turn will come and one day you will be talking to a youth about his or her missed deer.You sir,now have experience! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    sometimes your 99% sure you got a kill shot but you never know what the bullet it going to do. it could hit a bone and miss the vitals, or you can hit a branch that throws the bullet of just a little bit. alot of times the hunter is shaking like crazy just because they see a huge buck. ease up on the kid

13. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I believe in shot placement more than any other factor. As any hunter should. But stuff happens. I don't care how good you are.

And he tried to close the deal with 2 more shots, that's respectable. Anybody can loose a deer.
    Whenever I can I shoot the neck. So far they've dropped in their tracks doing this.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, it happens, even the little ones can run, next time let it go awhile before starting to track it, they get sick and lay down and bleed, stiffen up and can't run when ya get up on em. They have been known to run 100 yds with a hole in the heart. If ya track em too soon, they keep on goin, and go a lot farther, and then sometimes stop bleedin. So, better luck next time, hope it doesn't happen again.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    No one ever TRIES to wound a deer. It comes under the heading of "$#it Happens". Anybody that has done much hunting at all has lost deer. I don't care how good you are. It's easy to flinch, hit a branch, shoot just as the deer starts moving, etc. This kid is not a professional hunter, nor does he have a degree in anatomy. Trying to make him feel bad about about a less than perfect shot is uncalled for. With a little practice, he'll get it right. The deer won't go to waste. There are other critters out there that need to eat, too. He just fed them instead of his family....this time!

16. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    First of all, Jeff you hit the nail on the head about Rich. OUT OF LINE. He feels bad enough about losing the deer and you want to get on him about a bad shot. As far as a dog goes. I had a beagle I used on wounded deer. Saved me from alot of headaches. They are worth their weight in gold.

Nick, you will make up for it. Good luck.