Bad Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by BigTex, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    I havent been on here in a while but after this last trip, I thought I should let some people know what happened in case they happen to be in the same situation someday. We were fishing a small creek off the Cooper River called Quemby. We knew we had to be close to our limit for bream so we tied off to a stump near the shore to count them. In the process of this, a boat came by "bogged down" and throwing a helluva wake. I told my buddy he had better hang on. Sure enough the idiots swamped our boat. By the way they almost swamped another boat about a hundred yards before they got to us. I stood up and yelled " you stupid S.O.B. you swamped our boat!" In return I got the bird from the passenger. We bailed out some water and went after them to get the hull ID number. While I am running them down I am also on the phone with DNR. I gave them the ID # and a while later I get a call from a Sgt. that explains he is busy but ends up sending another officer that mainly worked salt water. The officer arrives and tells us that we can either wait for them to come back or we can use our boat to take him out there to find them. We told him we would just wait since there was a chance we could miss them if we go looking, since there are several creeks coming off that one. While waiting, we fill out reports and the other boat that was almost swamped filled them out also. All of this has taken several hours and then we are notified by the officer there is nothing he can do but give them a ticket if they have a safety violation on their boat.Since he did not witness it, there is nothing he can do about us being swamped. I told him we did nothing but waste his time and ours. We were out of a Garmin GPS76 (supposed to be waterproof) and soaked to the bone and ticked off. The other boat finally showed up but the officer instructed us not to speak to them. I had to let this fellow walk by me and give me a go to hell look and I couldnt say a word, it made me feel like I was the criminal. The officer told us that the people claimed they didnt have time to slow down and they didnt know why I was waiving them down after they passed. The people didnt have proof of registration on them and the game warden didnt give them a ticket. He claimed it was a petty offense. I guess it was petty getting swamped also. The only good thing about this trip, I was supposed to have my little three year old girl(loves to fish) with me and changed my mind about 15 min before we left. I called DNR again and a Lt. called me back at 11pm, he said the same thing the other officer said and about having my little girl with me.....he said to find a safer place to fish. Our good ol DNR at work for us, keeping us safe. So if any of you find yourself in this situation, DO NOT CALL DNR! I think I am going to start carrying the camcorder with me, video doesnt lie.

2. narcdcso

narcdcso New Member

State:
    sc
    Just carry your pistol and when they do this just fire a shot across there bow. And if they wanna talk trash make make em swim. I found out that if you just lay the pistol out when you talk to people they seem to listen well and say I 'm sorry.

3. Threadkilla

Threadkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Not good ideas, by any means.

4. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    Well, I guess it is a catch 22, if the warden doesnt see it, he cant charge you for it. I wouldnt do it though. If I ever pull a gun it would be to use it, I just think it is sad that a person attempts to do the right thing and it is useless. I still cant get over a warden showing up and not having a boat, where do our tax dollars and license revenue go?

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    You did the right thing by calling it in. Even though I'm sure you wanted to do more to them, it wouldn't make any sense to sink yourself to their level. Starting something with someone is never a good idea unless your life is in danger.

They will get theirs in the end. If there are enough complaints on record for them, eventually some officer is going to check them and find out that they were involved in several previous incidents and they'll load them up with as many offenses as they can.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    He should have ticketed them for no registration because that is a no no according to the rule book.