Bad first time.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Colsrob, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Ok, here's the deal. I went to the Ohio last night. In getting ready for the trip, I went and bought a cast net. It is my first time ever with a cast net. It didn't take me long to figure out how to throw it decent enough, but that was the least of my problems.

Now, I am not asking for anyone to expose their honey hole, but I sure could use some insight on where to find baitfish. I would just like to know what kind of areas are better suited for them. I tried about 6-7 different spots and all I could muster was 1 shad, about the size of a big sardine.

Needless to say, it sure made things a lot worse, without any real bait to use. The trip was not fruitless, I did catch 7-8 fish. The sizes were respectable as well, although there were no trophy, or anything close to that. Mainly the 5-7lb range. A couple of Flats and the rest were Channels.

I managed to cath 1 sunfish, after going to town for worms, to go with that sorry excuse for a shad. I really think I would have done very well, if I only had enough good bait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    locks try cat netting in the locks sometimes fish get trapped in there

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    That's a good idea as well. Thank you.

I told you I have no experience at cast netting. :) It should be obvious by now.

I forgot to put this in my original post: I ran out of bait, so I broke out the box of Wheaties. I use Coke in mine, and sometimes add a splash of vanilla, which I did last night. I thought I might be able to catch a carp and use him for bait. Instead, I caught 1 of the 7lb Channels on it. :) Desperate times............

4. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This time of the year try shallow areas 1 to 10 foot of water in the mornings and evenings right as the sun goes down and vise versa

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Your sun, or my sun? :)

Seriously though, thank you. Any help is definately better than where I was before.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    On a boat or bank? When the river rises and the current picks up they can be found easily up in Marina's and feeder creeks...Same can be said for normal conditions, but when the river gets to summer pool levels, they can be harder to find as they will spread out more all over the river.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Anywhere there are shallows an the locks of course. At night you can use a light an see the bait fish sometimes. Toss the net then,,,

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Ya know, I thought about that while I was fishing. However, I was affraid I would sppok my area and not be able to catch anything, even if I got ahold of some bait. :)

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I have a boat. I try to avoid bank fishing at all costs. :)

Thanks for your suggestions.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If deeper water is nearby and its come a good rain the baitfish should start to make their way to the shallows sometimes even enough to see em.:wink: Thats primetime after a big rain.

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    Glenn and i was at the lake the other night and shad was almost jumping in the boat when we put a spotlight on the water

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Sometimes they gang up where there's a street light close to the water. Dark isn't their friend.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I get 90% of my bait on the Ohio out of larger feeder creeks and feeder rivers. The bait is always there, you just have to learn what parts of the river or creek they are in during those conditions. If I had to pick an area with no prior knowledge of the conditions I would start at the mouth. About half an hour before dark to about half an hour after is the easiest time to find them. They will usually be breaking the surface like crazy. At night time look for barge tie offs and things that have bright lights on them 24/7 the bait fish will go to these areas. During the day look for areas that get a lot of sun. There are days I can catch more bait than I can use in one throw, some days it is not so great. If you get on a pattern that is getting a lot of bait from the same area be prepared for that area to change after a big rain or weather change.

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Darn sure got that right. Them shad were going crazy!

15. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Thanks so much to everyone. I believe I got a lot of great insight and help. Hopefully it won't be too long til I can get back down there to put my new found knowledge to test.

If I again come up empty handed, at least I have a list of people that I can blame this time. :smile2: