Bad days can get better!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Aug 3, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, got a super late start. Didn't get to the lake (Gaston Lake) until about 6am. Managed to net a few big Gizzard Shad at a creek. Put in the boat, and was fishing by 7am or so, fished Gaston Dam first and didn't even get a bite! So then we tried the mouth of Jimmies Creek, and not a bite there eithier, and I didn't see any of that topwater action anymore, strange. Now the fishing is looking pretty bad, it's about 8:45am and not a bite yet, not even a nibble. So we move to the mouth of Pea Hill, start drifting the bobbers, perfect wind coming across the lake. Well they were very concentrated on a certain spot, a sandbar type of thing near the....well, I'm not going to give my spot away.

Anyway, about 9am the first run, my dads pole started going hard, looked out and the bobber was gone, he set the hook and got a decent little 6lb Blue in the boat. We were straightening that out, getting the fish in the cooler and stuff, when my pole just really got slammed, zzzzzttttttttt my drag was flying off my reel, as soon as I set the hook I knew I had at least a 10lber, after a 5 minutes fight I got the nice Blue Cat in the boat, 15lber. So we drifted back over that spot, our guest we took had a NICE fish, but he was new at this and set the hook with the clicker on....ouch, talk about a tangle. Didn't get that one of course. Then we started over with the drift again in that same great area, and our guest had another big run and made that same bad mistake but this time we managed to help him get the tangle out and get a hook set on the fish, he didn't know what to think, it was the biggest fish he has ever caught, turned out to be a 11lb Blue Cat, a good fighter. Then it was 10am, and we had to leave, but right before we reeled up my dads reel just started screaming, it was the FASTEST freshwater run I've ever heard and it turned out to only be a 7lb Channel Cat, but it was an AWESOME fight.

This just shows how a bad day can improve so fast, this was a great day for sure. I was giving up right before we had the first bite, it just didn't seem like we were going to get anything. From my past experience I should have known better though then to give up before the last second, but I was just so tired and stuff, didn't get any sleep last night.

Moral of this story, don't give up until the very last second, because things can change FAST. Here are a couple of pictures, first one is of my 15lb Blue. Second is of the cooler, you can't see all the fish though, we are going to eat 'em tonight or tommorow night.

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    By the way, I didn't way any of the fish yet, so I'm just giving an estimate. Seems like my fish was a little bigger then 15lbs, but I will make sure later.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the nice catch!!!

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    man that first fish looks really fat. Nice catch little brother

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, I know they ain't monsters. But for this time of year, it was definitely a great day. I've had a terrible year in general though for some reason. Hopefully things are finally turning around.:smile2:

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Looks like you had a good time and figured out where the fish were hiding. I though you crashed the boat into the house though?

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, but no I did not crash the boat into the house, it rolled into the flowerbed, just like I said in that thread. Nothing got hurt on the boat.

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Hey, Zakk. Nice fish! Be sure to let us know how they taste! And good job writin' that story. Done awesome on it, as well. Keep it up, buddy.

-Red

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

keep up the good work. nice fish.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, I'm trying to go again tonight or tommorow morning, I hope I can find them again! Maybe I can get into the real big ones, usually I only catch the big Blue's in the spring and fall though.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish Zakk, congrats on the catches.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks,

here is a picture of the stringer of fish we got on the last trip, BUT we fished ALL night that time and only had the few bites that got us these Blues.

Attached Files:

13. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    nice fish there Zakk, keep up the good work catching them bigguns.

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey how come I didn't catch those when I went with you....you were holding out on me.....LOL

Thats alright will get them this fall :big_smile:

congrats...zakk save some for me...

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Haven't had a good fishing trip yet this year as far as size goes. We'll keep trying though. Good luck on all your next adventures.

Wheelmobile07

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL, sorry man. Who would of thought that these slip bobbers would have been so effective? Then again, the way we put them out, I guess it's almost like jug fishing, but you use a rod and reel to do it, so it's actually sport. I can't even get one bite from a good fish on the bottom, ONLY on the bobbers. This fall they will be biting on bottom again though, we can probably fish Eaton Ferry in the morning in October and get them, at least that's what happened last year.:big_smile:

17. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
  18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Going out this morning, going to try to get them again, hopefully bigger ones, but beggers can't be choosers.:big_smile:

19. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    good job and nice catch. i need a few spots like them you got.

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Nice fish! I'm gonna hit it this morning too! :big_smile: