Bad Day To Fish, But a Personal Best Anyway

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by WylieCat, May 23, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Today should have been a bad day, and in some ways it was. I only caught four fish in a month that has produced 15+ catches on several days. The front that passed through last night left Blue Bird skies. This combined with winds from the east to northeast and you have a recipe for a bad day fishing.

Despite all that I went fishing. It was my only day off this week and the wife was out of town. Faced with cutting grass now or later, I chose later and hit the lake around 7:30am.

For the first two hours I was staring at those clear skies and making sure the wind was coming from a bad direction. I needed an excuse, because up to that point I had not hooked a fish, not a bite, not a sniff, nothing.

Then WHAM!

A rod folded over, and it looked more like a blue bite, and judging from the fight it felt like a blue. The fish took drag several times, and as It neared the boat I realized this was a “net job”. As it finally surfaced I was amazed to see a big huge channel cat. I got it in the boat, broke out the scale, and it weighed in at 12 pounds 4 oz. By far the biggest channel I have caught. I even zeroed the scale one more time to make sure, and again it read 12 pounds 4 oz. I finally got over the 10 pound hump on a channel cat!

I caught another nice 7-4 channel and a couple of smaller ones before I headed home around 2:00pm. The bite never really took off, and I tried everything from deep to shallow, creeks to main channels, drifting and anchoring.

The bottom line is that you never know when that big fish will hit, so hit the water and fish!!!!!

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    WylieCat congrats on the catch. Always nice to get a personal best.

3. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Sounds like a beauty, WylieCat. Glad to hear you had a good bad day fishing.

:big_smile_2:

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Congrats on the nice channel, I still have yet to break the 10 pound channel mark. I just havent had any luck getting those bigger ones to bite! What bait were you using?

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Very nice PB Channel!! :003:

Time to update your profile??

Congrats

6. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    very nice channel cat , glad to hear ya got a PB !!!!!! Nice fish.............

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Congrats, that is a fine Channel Cat for sure. I got my biggest last Summer, 15 pounds and 8 ounces, thought I had a 40 lb Blue the way that thing pulled.

Zakk

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We were on Wylie today from 6:30am until 12 noon. My buddy caught three nice bass and I hung two that got off at the boat. I caught an eyeball from some sort of fish, just the eyeball not the whole fish. When we were trying to load something happened to my trolling motor and it burned the wires off and melted the post on the battery. Just another averge trip with my fishing buddy.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Congrats on the personal best.

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Congrats on the kitty.

11. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    thanks for sharin the trip man.

i would have liked SO much to have been fishin today..but had to do the work thang.

cyas
    rc

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Congrats, Dieter. Nice surprise on the end of that line, huh?

13. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Beats Mowing!! Great story... I've had three around 10# but none over, there does seem to be an invisible wall.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks everyone.

Gringoloco I was using a bream steak. Usually I get bigger fish on bream heads, but this fat girl hit a steak. I was trolling and the fish came out of about 15 feet of water.

RiverratSC I may have seen you today!! I was fishing the lower lake. There were not too many folks out. I saw the usual boats white perch fishing, and a few bass fishermen, but most people stayed at home...or worked..YUK!!

That was a channel cat of a lifetime on Lake Wylie. There are not too many around that size, and I doubt I will catch any to beat it on that lake anytime soon, but I am still dreaming about catching the NC state record in the upper half of the lake!!

That is what makes fishing great though; there is always a chance that any day you can land a monster.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We fished around the Allison Creek Landing area for bass. I hope to get a new trolling motor soon.

16. Steven Blair

Steven Blair New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Congrats on your PB! Always nice to hear that. :big_smile:

17. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Great story and congrats on the fish!

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on your PB,sounds like it was a pretty good day!

19. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Great job on the channel Dieter and new personal best as well.

Great job