Bad day for one of the drivers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flysure1, Apr 8, 2009.

1. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A ready mix driver where I work was possibly very close to losing his life today, he was rinsing the drum out and stuck the hose nozzle inside the back of the drum and his glove got stuck, it pulled him against the cage and ripped his glove off damaging his thumb in the process, 45 stitches in his thumb and hand, it was first coming back that he lost his thumb, he called me after he left the hospital and I told him he had better buy a lottery ticket tonight, he realizes how much worse that it could have turned out because those drums are pretty unforgiving!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hear ya ,Rod. I had a similar experience when my sprayer nozzel hung on a fin when I was washing out mine. I did the smartest thing ,I let go!! I shudder to think what could have been if I hadnt. All of our mixers have a screen where you cant get near the drum while washing EXCEPT mine:wink: Of course mine is the cleanest in the fleet because of that fact.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad to hear that he came away safely! Im not very familiar with those set ups but I can imagine how bad it could have been...

4. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    It just takes a split second.
    a couple years ago a driver I had worked around for about twenty years lost three fingers wile cleaning out between tailgate and bed.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You guys be careful. That would ruin a mans day real fast.:crazy:
    Make Momma mad at you too.:smile2:

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I haven't been up close and personal with the concrete trucks however I have been rather close to those dang gone tail gates on dump trucks.They can hurt u real quick also.be there done that.I've been lucky nothing really serious.Just some skinned fingers and few bruises.
    Sounds like that fellow today was real luck and I bet he learned a new respect for those mixers.Good to hear he will be OK. Anyone out there who works around heavy equip please be careful.Don't need no more accidents.God Bless Stay Safe.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Perfect opportunity for someone who knows those trucks to invent and fabricate a deadman switch.

I know a guy who had some workers fall into an industrial size food mixer while running it to clean it up. He knew better, just didn't want to take the time. He won't make that mistake again.

8. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never seen one but it would be great, clip a control on like a waverunner switch when you climb the ladder.

9. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Glad to hear he is ok.

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Glad that he did live to regret his mistake so often a man will believe that he has mastered a machine and then wham the macine says nope not yet

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    It only takes a split second, to put a permanent change into your health record...

It's hard to always be 100%, but, it can cost you dearly if you're not!!!

12. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    In my line of work I see alot of accidents happen and the leading cause of the accident is that the person was in a rush and didn't think about what they were doing. We have preached to our guys to make sure that they think before they act because the job isn't going to stop with their injury. One of our safety men that used to work for me always said that every osha law was written in blood. Keep em safe to work or fish another day