bad crappie rods

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cliff n york, Sep 23, 2009.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i want to buy several crappie rods, but i dont want to waste money on rods that break alot. what rods dont you like?

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    stay away from the slab seeker. way too flimsy...go to bass pro and get their long crappie rod. its cheap but works great

3. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    The slab seeker's are junk. I dont like the wally marshall rod's either. I use 10' ozark rods. they are lightweight so a day of jigging timber doesnt make you feel like your arms falling off. The outlaw rod's are good also and they have more backbone to pull in the accidental cat or bass.

4. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use b and m love them have used cheaper but found the cheap do not last bob bait

5. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I use a grizzly elite it is from Grizzly jigs . com in mossouri it is a great light pole for hand fishing not trolling he has a whloe line of good poles check them out

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Like the other two posts I have no problem with the b&m rods.Also get a catalog from grizzly jig co. they have the largest selection of crappie rods anywhere.They also sell replacement tops for all them broken rods you got.They are a great company to do buisness with.They also sell on ebay under the same name.Good luck

7. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go to bass pro if you can a get a couple of the wally marshell signiture seiries rods with the little reel on it i have a 11' and a 10'. best crappie rods ive ever used. plus when you get hung up you can reel the tip down to the hook and unhook it that way

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've tried the wally marshal rods and they're tough rods but a bie heavy for all day fishing. i like the b&m graphite jig pole in 11' model. i've lifted 2 1/2 pound crappie out of the water and into the boat with no problems. (i did this with the 10' model and it snapped). these b&m poles are sensitive enough that u can feel a fish breath on it. and for around $36 they are fairly inexpensive. :wink:

9. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    also grizzly jig company has specials if you buy three or more rods.:wink:

10. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I have a couple of quantom pullin rods that i have good luck with, plenty
    of back bone,most of our lakes here have wipers, andyou need plenty of rod is they grab your tubejig. stiill have a slab seeker it in the rack at home to flimsey , i have 2 wally marshell the are good also, b-m make a varity of lengths and backbone good rods also

11. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i just went to wally world and picked up a ultra light shakespeare cirrus. im happy with it. its cheap but its all i need at the moment. its easily pulled in all my fish so far.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm glad you made out good & are happy:big_smile:, The Shakespeare rods are really good for the $$$$ but IMHO, I wouldn't give ya a plug nickle for their reels:crazy:

13. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    aint top quality but if you take care of em, they last a bit. ive never really had a problem with shakespeare. i have a shakespeare fuel medium action rod that ive caught pretty much everything on. never given me a problem. so as long as they do good, ill buy em.

14. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lots of great suggestions on here guys! Thank You

I'm starting to get into crappie fishing a little more hardcore, and only have a couple rigs. Just bought a Pflueger Trion UL 4ft 8in gonna try it this weekend. Also have a 5.5 ft Lightning rod UL with a Gander Mountain Guide Series reel that has been great. I'm gonna get another couple rigs though, so I'll be checking out several of the ones mentioned. Maybe I'll get lucky and win the 500 buck BnM bonus at a crappie tourney I'm gonna fish hahaha

15. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with the slab seekers being junk. I had one of the tips split down middle for no reason. The other one that I bought, the tip broke off when there was just a little resistance against it.

16. festus

festus New Member

I've never really had a bad crappie rod as long as I remember. But a good one is the Featherlight Series from Eagle Claw, if they still make them. My friend has one that's 9' long. I think it was less than $30. Cork handles with no plastic