Bad call IMO:

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by kat in the hat, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So, how do you go about getting a TKO victory by poking a guy in the eye...after being warned about it repeatedly? That was the worst decision I've ever seen in the UFC. A couple of things coulda happened BESIDES Kevin Burns being declared the winner by TKO.

1) He [Burns] could have been disqualified.

2) The judges coulda judged the bout AFTER a points reduction.

Never heard of either fighter. It just sucks to see such poor judgement. Anthony Johnson had his eye poked 4 times during the fight. What a crock!

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That decision was ridiculous,I`ve never seen anything like that before.

3. Alex J

Alex J Guest

Yeah, agreed. I'd be willing to bet that decision gets overturned.

Gotta say, Johnson certainly handled it with a lot more class than I would of ever been able to muster after that crap. And the B.S. excuse the other fighter gave. It's not his fault the judges did that though, but even he could have stepped up and said he refuses to accept the victory, at least symbolically if anything.

I love the fights like the one after Silva...out before they hit the ground. :smile2:

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    missed this one. any vids yet,lol:cool2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I missed it also, when was this fight and could we get some more details

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I agree 100%-guy had a lotta class,and understood that Chit happens,was no way intentional.

7. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I remember when Randy Coltura and Vitor Belfort fought the first time and Randy's
    eye got poked really hard and he could'nt
    continue. Belfort was still given the belt.
    I think they should declare fights like this
    a no contest fight and set up a rematch. I don't think any fighter out there want's a
    victory in that way. It takes away all bragging
    rights.

8. Alex J

Alex J Guest

It was Saturday night on UFC Fight Night Live featuring Silva vs Irvin.

The fight was Kevin Burns vs Anthony Johnson. Burns poked Johnson in the eye several times and was continually being warned for it, with the last time being really bad and Johnson fell to the mat in agony. The fight was stopped and Burns won by TKO. Afterwards, Burns explained that he was striking with the palm (or at least trying to! :smile2:) because he had broken that hand 3 times in the last 16 months and he couldn't hit with a clenched fist. I wonder if he told the officials that before the fight?

Johnson, despite being clearly ripped off, handled it with class.

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    It was nice to see him take it in stride, and the call was in no way Burns' fault either. The call though was complete, and total BS. They need to come up with a provision for such instances. Accidental or not, the outcome was the same. Burns won a victory by an illegal strike. I know he ain't proud of it...Who would be? The UFC is THE premier MMA venue, and need to be the model for all other venues. There's bad calls in all sports. It's not the end of the world, but sometimes they need to step back and assess the situation a bit.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Unless the UFC institutes a replay system, great example for one, that was the right but lame decision. Unless you seen Johnson get poked in the eye it looked like he got KO'd by a huge uppercut, but we know he didnt even land the uppercut. The ref stopped the fight imho because he though Johnson was out and in trouble of really getting hurt. Just a bad situation and Johnson handled it with class. Hate to say it but if Burns cant punch he shouldnt be fighting or maybe he can use thicker gloves. Oh yeah, Spike will replay this a few times Im sure if ya got cable.

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think that the call came more from the fact the he (Johnson) also tapped when he went to the floor. It still should have been overturned though.

12. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Terrible. He sure was a sport afterwards. Better man than I.

13. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah that was kind of a crock. I mean how many times can you do that on accident.... about that many i guess. Show have been no contest or somethin

14. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    He might have had a hard time forgetting that he started the whole mess with the groin kick.

15. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Groin kicks happen. Eye pokes happen. Ever see a TKO by groin kick...or an eye poke? No contest, or disqualification are the best choices in this instance...in my opinion. :big_smile:

And he was a great sport about it. Class will get you another fight at least. :cool2: