Bad Blood between PA anglers

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Kat Head, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Hey fellas, I want to know if everyone treats fellow anglers the same as around here. If your not catching fish and others are, don't figure on getting any help. They won't give up any secrets. I may not point someone to my exact log jam, but I'll tell them what they are bitting on and so forth. Even on the lake for walleye or perch, get on your radio and guys will laugh at you. You won't get any help as far as colors, crawlers, depth, speed and so on. Guys here especially don't like tourists. Pittsburg guys are the most notorious. Locals even gave them their own nickname. I haven't met anyone I dislike over my 25 years of fishing, maybe the occasional a$$, but they are everywhere. Just wondering if it's like this everywhere else in the state?

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I not in Pa., but I will give info if asked such as bait depth time ect. I also will not disclose exact locations I have 20 years of fishing locating these spots IF I told one person there would be thirty people there fishing. Some things are better left un said.:wink:

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I will always tell someone what their biting on and any info they need, someone taught me once and told me things i needed to know to be a better fisherman, so why not return the favor..

4. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    i think this problem is mostly up at erie.. i never have ran into any problems anywere else in pa at any watershed. from ponds lakes streams and rivers. i think erie gets the worst in this category esp around steelheads in the fall.. i cant say so for myself for as if not getting any info cause when ive been up there id got good advise from another fisher man and we exchange numbers so when i do come back up we could fish together. but i have seen people getting the shaft from asking for any advice and or info. BUT overall i think i get the better side of things when i go out cause i do not eat fish and or keep them unless it baitfish which is a different story.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Maybe on other forums, but there is never bad blood in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or the good ole BOC!:cool2:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I try to help a fellow angler out whenever I can.I try to give em the bait ,methods,and general area I,m catching them at.I don,t seem to have any trouble up erie in the summer,but fishing in the spring and fall for steelies is a whole nother matter!I greet whoever comes fishing around me,a lot of the locals won,t even say Hi back,just give you a grunt back.I don,t let it bother me,F*** em!I fish them legally,give people their space and try to be curteous,if they wanna be rude,it,s on them.I pay for my erie and trout stamps just like they do,some of them act like they personally raised the fish and stocked them thereselfs.I carry my trash bag with me and always leave my area cleaner than when I came.I,ve seen just as many local slobs as out of towners.God forbid I take a couple of steelies home to eat,put a couple on the stringer and some of them guys look at you like you just ran off with their daughter or something.Where in the hell do they think the money comes from for the public access the commision is buying,from that erie stamp on my hat.I NEVER sterotype any group by the few that wanna be A** holes,I,ve met some very nice people fishing up there too.With the amount of money coming into the area from out of towners,you,d think some of them would be a little friendlier,but that,s just life in general I guess.There,s guys in the Pittsbugh area too that think they own their particular stretch of river.I appreciate the erie reports you give and if you ever wanna fish down this way,Ill hook you up with a couple personal holes!:wink:

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have no problem givin info,advice or tips, i do it all the time, now my good spots are :0a19: but i'll point ya toward the right direction, i certainly don't need spots over run or over fished so i'm not gonna burn spots that took me awhile to locate, i mostly only fish with a couple other people and we pretty much all follow that general rule. :wink: but if its someone from out of town that i know thats different too, then i don't mind showin them a decent spot cause i know they won't be at it every weekend:cool2:

8. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    I agree with this one and i think the guys from the eastern side of the state can say so too. Cause when me and mike went to fish the skuke we had plenty of people from this site pointing us to spots and meeting up with us to take us to there spots..:big_smile: They even told us were the spots to get bait were if we needed to grab some bait to fish the cats..

9. I see it all on the water and on here. All I know is I am a man of my word and I try to help when I can. And I ain't the pro some of these guys think they are. It mostly boils down to a friggin soap opera from what I see, and I don't have time for that s**t.

I just do my thing and try to contribute for the good of things.

Somewhere there are people who need help to get into this last ticket of freedom and peace on the water, and that first feeling of a good sized fish puling line off your reel. I have been there and won't forget it.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    yea, Not from that area, but, where I fish, I've been helped, and I've helped...
    One hand washes the other,, and that seems right.. if someone abuses it,, so be it,, I found one spot, I can find another, chances are ,,,,,,, they're probably temporary types anyway,, They have to live in their skin,,
    Like a previous poster mentioned,, someone helped me out to get going, and, I feel privileged to share what I know, ....To me, it's about the fishing, not just the catching..and, I like to share it with people I enjoy!!

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    every but my spots is common knowledge here on the BOC.
    I lie like a dog about where I catch my fish.

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I don't have any problem with anyone and will be glad to help anyone. Well, almost anyone, there are the few you can just dislike on a glance and that would be the exception. I don't like people that get drunk and rowdy. they are fishing they are partying.

13. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I've fished in erie before, and most of the locals were just awful... wouldn't give you the time of day, luckily i knew where I was going so I didn't have to converse much.

Just read that erie board for a day, you'll see the same thing.

I don't have spots, but I will always help a fellow fisherman out if they are cool people.

14. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    I am not stingy on the info....i have no problem telling you the bait, how it was rigged, what depth and the general area. I may have a few tricks up my sleeve but i am willing to share them as well. If i caught on live....ill say it, if i caught on cut or stomped i say it as well. I really feel like we all have the same goal in common, some where and some time in all of our lives someone shared a few tips and helped all of us out....i choose to return the favor when ever i can.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We don't all have the same goal... some are "eaters" and some are CPR.
    No way way I'm going to reveal my hard earned fishing spots to eaters or even hint the general area.... why in heck would you do that?:confused2:

Also- gotta be careful another cpr buddy that might have loose lips.... I had that happen with one sweet spot I shared.... I couldnt believe it! never again for that guy.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Sorry I must go back on my word, there is bad blood in PA. But mostly the trout and bass fisherman.

Erie is horrible too! In the past 3 years, I have fished in states like South Carolina, Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio. All of these place I just mentioned had very friendly and hosptitable fisherman that will talk to you, tell you what baits they were using, and give you info. Even if you past a fisherman, you would get at least a smile, hello, or "any luck?"

The only place I was ever given a snobby look was by those fellas up in Erie. They acted like they owned the creek and the fish themselves. The God-almighty flyrod gives it all away!:big_smile::smile2::cool2:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    As far as giving fishing info, I only give it out to my friends. If your a total stranger looking for advice, I MIGHT give ya tips on bait, what's biting, but exact location spots, you have to go out and try it for yourself!! You people are fisherman, go figure it out just like I did!!:wink:

18. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i am going to give some bait and tackle advice but where i fish is my sercert and a few only knows where i fish to other :0a19:cause i do not want some people to know where i fish

19. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I don't mind telling folks approximates as far as areas and what to look for as far as water temps , depths. baits and so on. Also will help them with techniques as well. Seceret spots are just that though. But will help on anything else

20. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa

Well.....i guess it all depends on your definition of general, if i said i was fishing the conshohocken area....that covers about 2 or 3 miles. Of course we all will only share our top spots with close friends.....friends we know wont snake us and hammer it or blab it....thats a given.

As far as cpr vs eaters as you call them......up untill this year i was a killer, i didnt kill a single channel cat but kept every flathead we caught because the fish comission said to while fishing the skuke. It was obviously like taking a whizz in the ocean since they here to stay and impossible to even dent the population so just like everyone else around here were chasing the record......and getting close:wink:.

No one is looking for directions and gps coordinates to your favorite hole, but lots of information can be shared to help a fellow angler out that just needs one more piece of the puzzle. Tips on what depths your getting the fish in and how and what your rigging for bait is only going to help some one.........You know the only problem with painting a red x and saying fish here is the x keeps floating away:roll_eyes::smile2:

And for why the heck i would do what i do.....its simple, it feels good to help my fellow anglers out if i can. I had a few people through out my life that took the time and did it.....call it good carma or what ever you want its just how i was brought up.