Bad backs, and throwing a castnet

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Mar 24, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am sure alot of you remember last year when I tore my back up and had to have surgery, I was throwing a castnet.

I was actually over throwing it as I put a 20 foot extension on the rope and really was turning and whipping the net way out there.

After my surgery I was carefull not to make that hard quick whipping turn that a long throw with a castnet requires..I just made short soft throws and was fine.

Well 7 months from surgery I was thowing my net saturday, and yes I was stupid and added an extension rope to make long throws..I had no problem at all, I was happy.

Untill I tried to get out of bed monday, I was in severe pain and it really scared me to death, I thought not again, not another back sugery right before fishing season!!!

I went to see my doctor monday afternoon, he asked me what I was doing to hurt my back again, I said the same thing I was doing that hurt it the first time.

I then described the motion it took to try and throw a castnet along way, he told me that quick turning motion with my back was probably harder on it than lifting a heavy object.

And warned me never to pick up a net again!!!!

I am better today, not pain free but I got a big scare!

So be carefull you guys with bad backs, a castnet just might put it over the edge!

2. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    I hope your ok man !! I know how ya feel as I have hurt myself lots of times doing the same thing. I usually leave the throwing up to the younger generation these days but will still take my turns when the going is rough. I do however make soft, short throws and am gonna git me a gill net ( legal or not) for the exact reason you have described. Hope your words reach many ( travis!!) . Hard to fish when you can't even walk ! Thanks for the post and hope you have a speedy recovery....Randy

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Fishing has done a number on me to bro. The doc seems to think I have a herniated disc, and it sucks. It was always the worse after I got off the boat. Especially in the winter time here on the Ohio, my big Aluminum Deep V beats me to death, and the pain in my lower back that shoots down my leg really sucks. And yes throwing the cast net does not help either. Have felt great the last few days, then last night out of the blue here we go again. Was mostly in the leg, now its back to both. Really sucks though, but I will have to snap my spine to keep me off the water, I am just that hard headed.

I think that is why it started hurting all of the sudden, my back knows my boat is ready to go finally! lol:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Travis, i had 3 herniated disk...And with one long throw of the castnet I ruptured one of them.

The pain was unlike anything I ever felt, mainly in my leg..I passed out it was so horrible, and still have some nerve damage in my right leg from it...I still cant fell my knee, or parts of the front of my leg.

Be carefull!

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jack....I feel your pain brother. I had my second back surgery last october and now have the lumbar fusion complete with screws and rods w/bone graphs. No more cast nets for me either. Its a good thing I can catch fresh skipjacks and plenty of bluegills. I catch my bait while sitting in my chair and just chillin'. I'm looking into getting one of those leather fishing belts with the rod holder built in. I never want to have to go through another surgery ever! I still have numbness in my legs and feet and if I'm up on my feet too long, My legs starts to burn again. I hate that pain. Good luck to you brother and take care of that back!

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know how you feel. I have a herniated disc in my lower back. Every year the net gets harder and harder to throw. When I hurt my back the last time my legs went completely out from under me. I was paralyzed completely in one leg and could barely move the other. I drug myself to my car and made my way home. I had to sit in my car until the neighbor came home to help me out and inside the house. People that have'nt experienced an injury like this have no idea of the unbearable pain associated with it. Most americans with back injuries are attributed to poor posture. The doctor gave me the choice of either surgery, or intensive therapy to attempt to straighten my spine. I chose therapy. I didn't want a fused vertabrae in my back. After 6 months of therapy and basically learning to walk again, I had good posture. I actually felt out of place when I sat in a group of people. EVERYBODY has poor posture! extensions were the main excersize that helped my back.(legs and hips stationary and lifting your torso up) I got to a point I was doing 500 or more a day sometimes twice a day. That tightened the muscles in my back so much I had to sit straight up. I really felt wierd around other people with poor posture. I felt taller too. LOL

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You better be careful Jack!!! I know exactly what you're saying. I rarely throw mine at all. 1 throw and my back is done.
    I threw my back out several days ago doing something stupid, lifting a big bag of dog food. Usually after a couple days it'll ease up but not this time. I really don't wanna have the 2nd surgery even though its gonna happen sometime.
    Been a while since I've talked to you, hope your back is getting better and things are going well up that way.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know dude it really sucks, worst pain I have ever had was a kidney stone though, no thanks!!!!! never again!!!!

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
    Jack, did he then order a psych' consult? Take Travis with you when you go!

Take care of yourselves guys...W

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I broke my back back in 95 and cant throw a cast net either , but I couldnt throw one worth a crap before ...lol

11. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I understand how all of you feel. I have several herniated/bulging discs in my lower back from jumping out of airplanes with the Army. I went for years in constant pain. Since I am in negotiations with the VA I refuse to have surgery. I went to a local chiropractor that all of the guys on the police department use and he recommended a therapy that has really reduced my pain. It is called IDD (Intervertebral Differential Dynamics)therapy. Basically it is a Computer operated machine that gentle pulls your back and then oscillates creating negative pressure in the discs. This causes fluid to build up between your discs. I went for this treatment every day for 30 days and it has really improved my pain and mobility. I highly recommend that any of you with back problems try this form therapy. It has been the first time since 2002 that I can get out of bed without massive amounts of pain. Maybe it can help ya'll out too.

Brian "BEAR" Lantz:wink:

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats the best therapy I found for my back also. Got the most relief that way. Last Time I went for therapy they said they don't do it that way anymore. New and better things!@! LOL Not near as good. It is the small things that get mine. I can work all day with no problems. The last time mine gave out I was drying my toes after a shower!! LOL I wouldn't wish a bad back on any one.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The last conversation I had with my back surgeon in his office consisted of him telling me "bye. See ya next time"
    I stopped and asked next time?
    He said yes Mark. When you have one back surgery you'll have more and the reason is I do such a good job of making you feel better that you'll get stupid.
    It's just a matter of time.

He won't pulling my leg.
    I have a dangerously high level of tolerance for pain.
    I never had novacaine for a filling until I was an adult. I didn't want any.
    From the moment I got out of recovery after surgery I refused pain medication. They didn't understand that I wasn't in pain. I had experienced pain.

When I went to the hospital for back surgery it wasn't before I could no longer walk.
    I wound up with some moderate permanent nerve damage as a result.
    Recently diagnosed with CES.
    I'm fortunate that I do as well as I do. I got off easy compared to others with CES. Real easy.

I got stupid. I've been having a burning sensation running from my hip to my ankle in one leg but it's not constant.
    I went totally pain free last week and the only thing I did different was I drove a fullsize Chevy truck while my blazer was in the shop.
    I'm going to buy that truck!

Put the throw net down. I'm telling you, it aint worth potentially what you stand to have to live with on a permanent basis.
    If you have friends they wont let you throw it.
    In fact, they'll take it home with them just so you cant throw it.

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am glad you mentioned to "burning" sensation. I have never heard anyone else mentioning it before. But thats exactly what it feels like, if you were to hold a lighter to the middle of my lower back, and right on top of my knee at the same time...It really does suck, thanks for all the info guys. I am sure the military had alot to do with it as well. Jumping out of helicopters and running around with huge ruc sacks, guess I am getting old! Its all finally catching up to me.:confused2:

15. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for info. this will really help convince him to let me at the net from now on...

16. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    my back problems was years of stupidity added togeght falling off pickup tail gate while loading lawnmower,i don,t have full filling,s in ether leg plus they fill cold to me all the time ,as a rule not a lot of pain ,but i have learned to tuck & roll in a fall

17. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I guess we ll throw that net away, If I let her at it then that creates the chance for 2 poeple in the same situation, and I would nt want to see her go through this , And as far as the younger generation, If you learn to cast a net ate a young age chances are youll be good at it when you get older then you know what happens next. int the trash it will go, but I will take the lead weights of off it first,LOL :wink: This is a good thread full of info that could save a lot of pain and agony Thank you,ALL

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Several years ago I was night fishing by myself and I put out 20 stationary jugs and was taking everything out of the boat on to the bank of the Missouri River..got all my poles up..got the lantern set up..had a nice fire going and I forgot my cooler..still sitting in the boat..as I stepped into the boat my foot slid out from under me and my one leg went under the boat into the water while I laid there looking up at the stars..as I tried to turn over I felt that all familure pain shoot across my right butt cheek and down my leg..I laid there for several minutes trying to figure out what I was going to do..I was in such pain all I could do is just lay there. It took me about 30 minutes to get to my feet and get up the bank..I really thought about leaving everything right where it was and hope it was there the next day but I didn't..I carried a couple pain pills in my first aid kit and damn glad I did..after one of them started working it took me an hour to put everything back into the boat..won't forget that night for sure.

19. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Get rid of the net. Both of you will be down. We have lived with it for 3 yrs. A wheel chair is no fun. Luckly I'm still in pretty good shape for an old f#rt. She has to be helped into the boat and bank fishing is out unless I can drive up the the water.

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here's the thing I learned about back injuries. In most cases, All we need to do to prevent them is'nt avoid throw-nets and things that may damage the spine. it's to keep your back in shape as a preventitive. Then you can throw all the nets you want, bowl, work on cars and all the stuff that aggravates our backs. But, most people take it for granted until they have an injury. then it's too late. I seen my x-rays before physical therapy, and after. My spine was completely different shaped. Simply through targeted excersize!! I did crunches on a ball, hundreds and hundreds of extensions and lost extra weight. If I had been excersizing in the years prior to my problem it would have never happened. But now I have vertabrae spitting discs out like watermelon seeds. You have to ask yourselves this: how much time out of a day would it take to do a few excersizes, compared to how much time you'll spend in a doctors office, on your back, or worse, on an operating table? I bet if a person done 25-50 extensions and a few stomach crunches a day he could avoid an imminent spine failure. Don't wait till it's too late like we did. do it now! Not in all cases though. I can see where jumpers would be inherant to vertabrae and disc problems. That's a lot of shock to the spine.