bacon grease

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by westvirginiacatfish, Jan 14, 2009.

1. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I was frying up some bacon tonight and was wandering if anyone has ever used bacon grease to mix in with other baits or if would be any good to mix in with a home made bait.:smile2:

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well bacon makes a decent bait so i dont see where it would hurt any,maybe someone else can help and be more specific but i say giver a try and let us know how it works.

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried bacon once.... Turtles really like it!

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bacon grease makes good hog bait. A hog and a catfish will eat bout anything so who knows. Ya mite be onto something here.

5. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I think I'll try to mix up some kind of bait this weekend not sure what yet or what to mix it with. But when I do I'll let you how it works.:wink:

6. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used it several times. I mix it with some cheddar cheese and let it sit out in the sun for a little while. Then i just use a sponge and treble hook. Worked pretty good for some eating sized channels.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never tried the grease but have used salt pork with lots of success. Let us know how it works for you. Interesting.

8. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    :pacs_foe:
    i would try chicken breast soaked in bacon grease

9. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Maybe try putting some grease in a nylon sack after the grease hardens. Or put some of it in a dip tube like stink bait. I bet that would leave a nice slick in the water in the summertime when the water temps warm up. Thanks for the idea, I'm gonna give it a shot this spring/summer.