Bacon Grease Concoction

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by alands94, May 11, 2008.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    This morning I had some leftover bacon grease and decided to doctor it up for cats. I added 1 loaf of old white bread (crusts removed), a generous amount of garlic powder and several cups of instant potato flakes. Since oil (grease) and water do not mix, I thought this might stay on a hook pretty well. Perhaps there was too much grease since it kept falling apart. I made little bait balls out of my concoction and placed each one inside another piece of white bread that I molded around each ball. Hopefully this will keep it all together. Any other suggestions?

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't know about keepin it on a hook, but I been figuring a recipe like that would be a good one. Maybe using a old nylon sock or panty hose would help keep it on a hook. I think water temp would have something to do with weather or not the bacon grease would dissolve or not too. The garlic should be good too. I have tried a few concoctions with bacon grease but it always got rancid before I got to use it. Hope you figure this one out, and let me know too.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Get some cattail fuzz. It comes from the brown sausage-looking things on top of the cattails. Mix the fuzz with your mixture; it should really help hold it together. It works great on other types of bait mixtures.

4. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Man I am glad you guys tried this too. I was afraid to post this idea on here, but since someone else already did, I'll chime in as well!:wink: I made mine by adding minced garlic to the hot grease and cooking it a little while. Then I just added flour until it got thick. I wasn't able to try it right away, and had it in the fridge for a few days. It got kind of hard, but it softened some when it warmed up a little. I tried dipping a sponged treble hook in it, and it was too thick for that. The cattail idea is probably a good one. I didn't even think about trying the bread thing either, but I bet that would help with my recipe. I am not going to give up on this, because when I opened the container up after a few days in the fridge, I cringed just a little. And that has to mean it can't be too bad of a cat bait, right! I would love to hear some more ideas on making the bacon grease bait if anyone can come up with some! Thanks guys.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    If I ever get a chance to go fishing I'll post my results!

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've often thought of adding bacon grease to my dipbait. I'm thinking it might give it more of a punch. Keep us posted. Later Andy