Bacon as bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by weebrio, Jun 5, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I caught four Catfish, good ones tonight on bacon, is this normal? I had Berkely Catfish bait and cube steak and bacon, the bacon worked great, this is so simple a bait I can hardly belive it, did I get lucky or what?

The other baits I used did nothing.

Sorry no pics I fell in and runied my camera.

2. FIXXER

FIXXER New Member

State:
    ky
    bryan ive caught about every fish know on bacon its a great bait its all i used when i was a kid to reel in bullheads and chubs

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Bryan out here in central cailfornia i have had pretty good luck catching small channel cat's with bacon....I just throw about 4 maybe 5 peice's in the microwave for about 20 second's heat them up real quik then in to a zip lock bag they go...by the time i get to the canal i fish at the grease from heating them up is coating all the peice's seem's to work great for me.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had bacon work great when other baits only got the occasional bite. That got me to thinking....bacon is pork.....salt pork is pork that is tougher and saltier than bacon....hmmmmm. I tried it, and it really stayed on the hook extremely well; and I got a 16# blue with it, along with several smaller cats.

Oh yeah. I've had success with chitlings, too. Very tough. I flavored them (separately) with garlic powder. anise, and shrimp flavoring from Ramen noodles, but any scent you wanted to add would probably work.

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I've thought about using bacon, but never actually used it, but will tonite wen i take th family out. th lakes r 14- 16 ft above normal round here so all th boat ramps r closed an most of th parks r to, so I'm thinkin this might be a good time to give it a try.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i used bacon to catch crawfish for bait. one day, i tied a little bacon on a little line, ran it down a crawfish hole, waited for the tug, pulled a little, waited for another tug, repeated until the crawfish showed himself, grabbed him, put him on the hook, casted over by a submerged tree, and BANG! not 5 seconds and a 5 lb channel! so yeah bacon worked for me.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hum I always tought bacon make better eating.

8. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    I just ate all of the "bait" in my fridge CJ.:big_smile:

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never had any luck BUT!! I never tried to microwave it for a few seconds before using I shall have to try that! I will say I have found Bacon to stay very good on the hook. Don't have to worry about it flying off as you cast!:cool2:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Jerry on this. Salt Pork is the way to go. Has worked well for me.Not pricy and easy to find. :lol:

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bryan the bad thing about bacon is if you step on it you usually slip,fall and ruin your camera!!!!!!:big_smile::lol::eek:oooh:I first saw someone catch a catfish on bacon out of an irrigation canal in Mesa Arizona back in 1961.If you input bacon into the search engine at the top of the page you will come up with about 1 trillion references to it as both bait and food!:tounge_out::wink::big_smile:

12. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    My camera came back to life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG],

I caugh another one this morning on the bacon, I had about three more really tug on the bait but they appeaed to not be inhaleing like they were last night, so I reduced the size of the hook and I caught one.

13. ShipwreckDiver

ShipwreckDiver New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Bryan, Bryan, Bryan - The first bait I used after nightcrawlers was bacon. Not just bacon, but bacon that had sat in a tuperware container for several days, soaked in garlic powder and a dry packet of cherry coolaid. We SLAYED the channel cats. I use large live and cut sucker minnows now more than anything, but the cats do love some tasty bacon. I got the tip off of another catfishing site and decided to give it a whirl. The action has been slow here in Michigan for two weeks due to the spawn more than likely, and I'm going to throw that bacon recipe out on Thursday when I get back down to the river. They love any kind of oily meat, and it puts out a great prolonged scent. The longer you have to let the bacon get nastified in the fridge the better, but fresh bacon works nonetheless. Give it a try with some garlic powder and/or dry cherry coolaid and keep us posted on how you're doing. I'm laughing because I'm the only one here that I've seen that has used bacon in the past and I'm glad you found a great bait to use. Oddly enough, I didn't catch anywhere near the amount of pesky bullhead I was catching on nightcrawlers believe it or not, and that's always a plus (I think anyways). Good luck...

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice fish, Bryan.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I had forgot about bacon for bait we used it when i was a kid my grandma would give us some fatback when we couldn,t catch worms we caught a lot of fish with it to funny how we forget things

16. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I caugh five yesterday with bacon, one with a perch head.