Backyard Ponds and Water Gardens

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by mtrimble, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    A few tons of rock later and I've finally finished my backyard pond and stream. As a fisherman and somone who enjoys water life in general I thought Id bring a little piece of what I love into my own backyard. I took a few shortcuts along the way because the price of pond supplies is out the roof to say the least. Im not going to mess with those koi fish. Im going to stock my pond with sunfish, chubs and other native fishes. Maybe a yellow bullhead to top it off. Does anyone else have a backyard pond? Any stories, tips, pics, deals, shortcuts, timesavers, trouble savers and general info would be very much appreciated. Ill try and get some picks up as soon as I can. I dont have a digital camera so I got to borrow one from somebody.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I had one at the old house and loved it. I used it the same way your gonna use yours but I also put a lot of bait in there. My wife is kind of uppity about how things looked but I did convince her to let me use and old pool liner I got out of someones trash to line it with and I used native river rocks and peagravel from the local rivers and lakes. That saved me a lot of money. After adding a gazebo and a non-working bridge it added more to the price of the house when we sold it.

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have to go out east a ways before I can get pea gravel here in oklahoma. I knew of a spot near around the river that had a good bunch flagstone. Ive used that for a walkway and water falls. I also used a plastic 55 gallon drum somebody was throwing away to form a frame for the falling water. I did splurge a bit of money on the liner, however.

Was thinking about putting a baby loggerhead in there to prey on the weak fish. I am a little worried that he might try to claw through the liner though.

Oh yea Im gonna be using mine for bait too. I'm hoping shad will survive in it. I think the very well may cause i builty a twnty foot stream segment connecting to the main pond. The main pond has about a 6 ft diameter and about 3 1/2 ft deep.

I was wondering about increasing the value of the house Im living in. Im renting it so if the landlord wont reimburse Im removing it and taking it with me.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

make sure you fill in the hole are your landlord can charge you for that. In most states but not all you can not improve the property without your landlords written permission and expect to be paid back for it.

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Oh yea I wasn't really planning on getting anything out of it except a little fun. Did shad live in yours? I placed a few in mine but they died. I think they may have gotten over stressed during transport. Pumkinseed panfish seem to be doing pretty well. Im wondering how a small channel would like it. Ill try to get picks up soon after I get back from Lousianna.

6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Oh yea I wasn't really planning on getting anything out of it except a little fun. Did shad live in yours? I placed a few in mine but they died. I think they may have gotten over stressed during transport. Pumkinseed panfish seem to be doing pretty well. Im wondering how a small channel would like it. Ill try to get picks up soon after I get back from Lousianna. Luckily, my landlord is my uncle.