Backyard creek fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CamFish3210, Aug 14, 2006.

1. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    so today i was watching tv and an idea popped in my head..."I wonder if i can catch the bullhead in the creek in my backyard off stinkbait." After a while i got off the couch and decided to try my theory...i was using a small hook with a sponge with dipbait. two reasons i was trying this was to 1.) see if the bullhead would bite it and 2.) see if there were actually any channel cats in it. ive never got a channel out of there but i did get a well over 1 lbs bullhead out of there off worm early one morning. i can see well to the bottom in most parts of the creek and the perch were very interested in the bait and picked it a bit. i did see a couple of bullheads wrestle with the bait but never eat it (a lot of them are real small). so heres my question....i dont remember ever catching any bullheads on stinkbait and i was wondering if anyone else has and on what kind. is there any bait that perch wont touch that bullheads love? i have some shad and shrimp thats been on ice over the weekend that i forgot about using and i thought about trying it tomorrow. help anyone?

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    cant help ya Cameron there isnt much that the perch wont go for that the cats will eat

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    From my experience the best bait for bullheads is hotdog or bacon. There isnt really anyway to stop the perch form going after it as well though. If you put a big enough piece maybe the perch wont be ale to get it off before a bullhead finds it.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i'd say go with worms and just catch all the perch to use somewhere else as bait and you'll also get the bullheads

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I do the same thing, and I find that if you use livers the perch dont seem to take nearly as much interest in the bait as they would if you were using a worm. If you are catching them to eat, the livers also seem to attract some of the bigger ones in my case. For bait sized ones I would stick with the worm, and just catch some of the perch too (it willl give you a little bait diversity too). I also cant say that I have ever caught a bullhead off of stinkbait. You would think they would eat it, but they dont like it much. I hope this helps.

6. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio

i'm with you man i think that creek fishing is much like pond fishing. they love hotdogs and i would even try some bread. corn flakes work good to. just exsperiment man and let us knoe how it works. GOOD LUCK

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught them on worms and crickets that wouldn`t help you I could catch them bait stealers and try cutting one up and useing him for bait:lol: