Backwater - How do you target backwater catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by KYfarmer, Apr 8, 2009.

1. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Anyone fish backwater for cats? I saw a guy the other day come out of a slough flooded by green river with a nice mess of cats. He had a bunch of cane poles with bobbers on them. How do you guys target backwater cats??

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish strickley R/R when ever I fish. I was talking with a guy the other day that had caught 50 cats in the head of a lake. I use live and cut bait any time I'm fishing, IF i can catch fresh bait. If not I just fish cut bait.

3. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I mainly fish the Mississippi. Backwater here can be a little tricky but basically we find a good bunch of willows or other small trees next to the shoreline that have very little current, preferably none. Most all of the time it is in less than 10' of water. We cast out with bobbers usually within 20'-25' of our position, just like fishing in a farm pond. We also tight line at about the same distance. We move around and try different spots until we find a hot spot then set up shop. Catfish will move to the new food sources provided during high water next to the shoreline, a buffet of sorts. We've caught 15-20 lber's out of 4' water before but most are 10lbs and under. Hope this helps.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Backwater is a little harder to fish than river because you can't see
    like you can on a river backwater might be a mile wide on the large
    impoundments. But it still has river channels, creek channels, and
    bluffs, rock piles, and down timber, holes and humps, they are just
    harder to find. When you drift you use wind instead of current. I
    think its easier to control your boat most times on backwater than
    on the river. You can control your drift better.

5. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    True catfish will go toward shore feeding during high water. Food gets washed in and the hight water will create a backflow or eddie where the water will flow back upriver against the current. Food gets flushed out of the main river current into this eddie , goes back up river through the eddie and can get spit back into the current to start the process all over again. All kinds of fish will use these eddies to feed or just get out of the heavy main river current. Use a slip float setup and try to keep you bait just off the bottom. Through out into the main current it will go to the eddie and get pulled in and will wander through back upriver. Try to get the bait to go to the very start of the eddie just where it turns toward shore and starts to go back up river.You will find the fish to be more here at this point because it's the fist place the heavy current will release there food out of the swifter current. Look for current breaks right out of heavy current , large rocks , logs anything along the shore you would think that would create a current break. Even shore cutouts will hold fish. Flooded Fields are great. When the river is out of her banks fish will go into cornfields and feed in water as little as a foot deep you can actually see them. Remember fish don't want to fight the heavy current and they use it to there advantage to gorge themselves.