Backup to live bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Rob S, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What would you use as a backup for cats? Assuming I can't find any live bait (shad, minnows of any kind) what would be a good backup? From what I've read on the forum, Berkley Gulp! doesn't have a very good reputation. I was thinking sardines but many say they don't stay on the hook very well. What would be a good second choice to live bait? Thanks for any response.

2. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but a friend of mine who does catfishing tournaments around here said he liked to use goldfish. Hopefully there aren't any PETA rights or piss anyone off, but has anyone thought of this? Just want to have a backup just in case I can't catch any live bait.

3. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I used Goldfish in our last tournament and they did good.I had one cat that went 27lbs.a couple in the 15 lb class. and I had several between 2 to 6 lbs caught on chicken hearts.When I can't get shad or goldfish I use chicken hearts that have sat over night with garlic salt on them.

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    If I have to buy some bait I like goldfish before minnows and trout.I have drug trout around all day and they were still alive.

5. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So are you saying that you like dead bait better? Or just that trout hold up very well? Thanks.

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I like to use goldfish some for flats and channels in the summer .Sometimes I catch blues on them.Trout cost alot more but work pretty good also and their tough they will live all day on a hook .Of coarse i still perfer shad or herring.:big_smile:

7. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Hey Gearhead,
    Where do you buy your live trout?
    Bigwhiskers

8. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Gander mountain in Mooresville sells golden trout and a plain mountain trout .I like the golden best.:cool2:

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    wow I always thought trout were like shad as far as keeping them alive. Iv never even heard of using them for catfish

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    try some shrimp!!!!!!!!!

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    FRESH shrimp, should smell more like fresh mown grass than fish. I also like Goldfish. You can buy the "feeder" golds cheap and I keep spares in an old aquarium and feed them until they get 3 or 4" then they work real well. Chicken hearts are good, livers are great but you need to let them sit out of their juice a few hours and they will toughen up and stay on a treble hook better. I have tried beef liver and pork but didnt do much. Cheese cubes (sharp cheddar) in a pinch. Cant beat a nightcrawler of course!!

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    something really oily that will work when froze and you can stock up on is skip jacks, or fillets off carp. the oiler fish seem to work better when u stock up on cut bait for the freezer. spoonbill liver and eggs are good also if its legal in your state to use them.

13. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hills minnow farm is now carrying trout

14. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Killingtime do they have the golden or the rainbow or both.

15. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I use goldfish all the time. I raise them just for flatheads. I use them when they're about 6" to 8" long. I also use cut mullet and other cut bait along with live bream.

16. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have used chunks of chicken,some times they work:wink:

17. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    its been about three weeks since ive been there but at that time she had both and was selling them by the pound

18. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm going to tuckertown on Sun, might chum with a couple cans of sardines in a specific spot, but we have sonny's dip bait and going to get some DK's before we go just for convenience reasons. I don't have my cast net yet so catching shad will be out of the question unless I can find a cheapo at walmart. I don't think I know where feeders are at and a pack of chicken livers sound good.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Don't leave the shrimp at home!

20. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I have used cut shad alot.Also use frozen bream that I saved.Works pretty good.I will have to say the bowfin like the cut bream in my area pretty good also.