Backlashing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by atvracer, Feb 27, 2009.

1. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    New to the forum here. I have been using spincast and spinning reels all my life. During my teen years I bought a baitcaster but I hated it due to the fact I could not cast without backlashing. I am considering buying a new c3 or c4 type reel but wondered if these new reels backlash like the cheapo I had years ago. Thanks for the input.

2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :smile2::roll_eyes::wink:you'll have to contact catfish ken about that he is pro at them he holds catfish mafia record! sorry ken

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Those reels are almost foolproof. Notice, I said "almost." A determined fool can still produce the backlash from hell, especially with braid.

Baby steps, my man, baby steps. Read your manual, which will tell you how to adjust the cast control. Spool up with some 14# test mono, hang a couple of ounces on her, and go practice. Start with little short casts, and lengthen them as you feel comfortable. In less than an hour, you'll have it down.

Now, go fishing. Be aware that a big chunk of bait changes things, and not for the better. Casting with the wind is a piece of cake...into the wind can be a witch, but you'll get the hang of it.

Now you're ready for braid.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Yes the c3 & c4 will backlash. The key to a bait caster is proper spool speed adjustment. Any time you change to a different size weight or bait you need to readjust. Use your thumb to help slow the spool down until you get the adjustment down pat. Keep practicing it want take you long to become efficient with a baitcaster.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree, Mickey, but I gotta say, I rarely touch the thing. That's mainly due to the amount of weight we normally chunk. If I was throwin' big, lightweight plugs one minute, and 3/4 ounce spinnerbaits the next, I'm sure I'd be all over it.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I always set my spool adjustment with almost NO tension, just free spooling. I sling hell out of 'em with NO backlash. I think the main thing that creates backlash, is failure to stop the spool with the thumb when the bait hits the water. If the bait hits the water and the spool is not stopped, it will just continue to spin, creating a big mess. Any amount of tension on the spool tension adjuster, reduces distance in a cast. I rarely have a need to cast far, fishin' from the boat, but I still like nearly zero tension on the spool. Practice, practice. It's a piece of cake when you get the hang of it, and you'll never use those wimpy spinning reels again. :wink:

Bill in SC

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Not all spinning reels are wimpy.:wink: If they were I doubt people would use them for saltwater fishin.:smile2:
    Just remember we are fishin for a fish that is lucky to get 5 feet.
    A quality reel of either design will handle any catfish if the reel is properly maintained.

8. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    Thanks for the input guys. I am getting tired of spending $20-30 on the inferior reels only to have to buy a new one 2-3 times a year.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    all of them backlash if you dont cast it and set it right heck i still backlash sometimes.But i dont like to call it a backlash i prefer the term professional overthrow:wink: Welcome to the BOC bro.

10. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Welcome Aboard, I had the same problem, Man I can really untie knots good now,LOL, Just take the new reel and get somewhere and practice, pretty soon youll get the hang of it, practice hitting your target also.Good Luck

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jason,In my opinion,Todays reels backlash much easier than the older ones. That being said, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS on How to use it . Then just practice, practice,practice.:wink: The more you use them,the more you will become accustomed to them, And the better YOU will be. Welcome to the BOC.:cool2:

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jason
    Welcome aboard the BOC. Now that being said on with the rest of the story. I have been using Abu Garcia for 35yrs. From time to time you will get a Professional Overrun. The main thing to becoming proficient with a baitcaster of any type is practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. DON'T give into it. Keep at it till you master it. If long distance casts are what you want aim at the sky in the horizon and be ready to thumb that spool just as the bait and sinkier hits the water. Even at the best you can do you like I and all the rest of these guys, Will have one of those Professional Overruns once in a while.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dave's right about the wind:smile2: I've been using them for almost 5 years now and last month when we were skipjack fishing I backlashed dang near every other cast throwing into the wind:smile2:

Like everybody says, practice awhile with some cheap line you won't mind cutting out if you do get a real good birdnest going and you'll have it down. Just remember what Mickey said, until you get really used to it the first time add a lot more weight than what you've been practicing with and forget to adjust the spool brake or aren't quick enough with the thumb you'll have a mess:wink:

And like Bill said, once you get good with it you'll have the spool brake so loose the cap's about ready to fall off and that'll probably be the last time you touch it:smile2:

14. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Katfish Ken is 100% right! Practice makes perfect! I learned how to throw bait casters in my backyard with a 1oz bank sinker. Take a look at this video, I'll help you fix your backlashes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAqQ8IoKUfM
    The line you use is also pretty important, I stay away from monofilaments personally, I've had rough times with it. I prefer dacron...yeah, it's thicker, but it will improve your casts by 1,000%. I'm a little too cheap for superbraids, but I'm sure someone else will tell you about them. Good luck!!

15. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks Ivan, I learned some thing new about getting backlashes out, and I've been using baitcasters for years. Mike:0a31:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Quick cast system,,,:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Everybody that has used a baitcaster has backlashed it at one time or another.

Here is a easy way to get you started on casting your rod like a pro.

First tighten the spools drag up until a 2-3oz sinker stays put in the air.

Then (Without Thumbing the Line) loosen it slowly until the sinker fall slowly to the ground and stops without causeing any type of backlash.

Reel up and repeat the same process, this time loosen slightly to as when the sinker hits the ground it causes the line to loosen up on the spool just a little/

Now go cast away and get used to your new reel; making small adjustments as you (add or take away weight) Keep on going until you are casting like a pro.:wink:

17. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Another good tip/trick when You do get a back lash or overspin on the spool don't pick it out. Put your thumb on the spool really hard and give the handle three or four cranks forward. This will wind the loops back out. Then depress the cast button and with your thumb or fingers still on the spool peel the line out to get it straightened out. If another loop shows up while pulling the line out Repeat the steps again.

This technique will keep ya from picking the line out and possibly knotting it up worse and then have to cut it out.

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    We have professional over rides, cant agree to a backlash:embarassed:

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    great info i learned something i didnt know.

20. CharlieV

CharlieV New Member

State:
    Kirksville, MO

this was a huge help when i first started using a baitcaster (i backlashed that thing A LOT):smile2:, i picked out all of them until some kind soul took pitty on me while i was fishing a pier and told me to try the above technique. . . sure works a heck of a lot better than trying to pick out the backlash. . .