Backlashing.... Am I the only one who.....??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by baptistpreach, Dec 12, 2008.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Ok, last night my wife and I spend about 10 mins getting the worst backlash / knots I can remember in recent history at least. I fish with braided line almost exclusively, and I'm just too cheap to cut that stuff out when I get a birdsnest. Am I the only one? Or do others join me in fishing out a smooth spool out of the madness?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use braided line but I don't backlash much or very bad. I set my reel by tightening the casting knob to where my weight and bait just start to fall when the casting trigger is engaged. If your casting into the wind you will still get some backlash sometimes. If your casting with the wind this helps and you will not back lash much if any. Remember when using heavier weights and big baits don't try and force your cast or don't try and cast it like you would if you were bass fishing. Cast smoothly and not with any snapping action.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea,
    It's kinda like when You're helping a kid learn to ride a bike,,,, Run along beside them,, Just get everything going , and let go....:big_smile:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I started fishing, the reels were the old 'knuckle-dusters', where the reel handle spun when making a cast; mono was so stiff and thick that nobody even considered trying to cast with it; and the braided line that everyone used for casting was made of nylon, and would stretch like a rubber band. The only halfway decent casting line was dacron. So, yeah, I've picked out more than a few backlashes. I would estimate that I've only had to cut out 6 or 8 of them in my life.

5. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Fellas! Thanks for the casting tips, I know I've got some learning to do, but I was really asking more about do you untangle them or just cut them out? I did this cause I tried doing something dumb, casting a weightless wad of stinkbait with a long leader.... and trying to get distance.. I hope I've learned from the error of my ways

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes, If at all possible,, I'll spend time to untangle them,,,,, I cut Very few..

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well David,

For one when using a baitcasting reel never use a long leader. The longer your leader the harder it is to cast without having problems.

Most of the time if I do get a backlash they are not too bad and I can pick them out easily. But every now and then I'll get a one that is beyond impossible to pick out and have no choice but to cut it out. Luckily I have yet to have to do this with any of my cat rods and my braided line. When you get used to the bait casters and want to try a longer leader don't try and cast too far. The longer leader you have the less you need to cast far.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    About the only reason you would backlash is you momentarily forget the fundamentals of casting. Each reel has instructions on how to adjust the reel for casting (if you don't have them, search the web for them). Once the reel is adjusted, IT IS ONLY ADJUSTED FOR THAT LINE, WEIGHT AND SIZE OF BAIT. If any of these items change, you need to re-adjust the reel. Then the ultimate technique comes into play...thumb control. You gotta have the feather touch on the spool as it rotates and when the bait hits the water, stop the spool. Otherwise it will just keep rotating, spinning line off the reel, and begging for a backlash to occur. Go to Walmart and invest in two or three crochet needles and keep them handy. Oh yes, you may want to start using mono filament so when you do bird nest real bad you can just cut the line off. LOL

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    David,
    Because of the superb casting technique that I have, I never get bird's nests:wink:
    If you only spent 10 minutes working the sucker out it couldn't have been that bad; I have worked on 'em for over an hour sometimes rather than sacrifice braid...W

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If there is any hope at all I'll keep working at it for hours. I've only had to cut line off once, when the line had backlashed and then dug into itself on the spool on top of the backlash. Couldn't ever figure which ends were coming and which ones were going.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Yes, If at all possible,, I'll spend time to untangle them,,,,, I cut Very few..>

That's the way I do it. I haven't had a major backlash in years though. I sling hell out of 'em! :eek:oooh::wink::eek:oooh: The main thing that causes backlash, is not braking the spool with your thumb when the bait hits the water. If I get a backlash, if it takes two minutes to an hour, if it can be undone, I'll undo it before I would even consider cutting off any expensive Power Pro 100# braid.
    Bill in SC

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Excellent points by all. I use 100# Power Pro and yup it is expensive. One thing to remember is once you've had a backlash and get it straightened out is to strip off as much as you can and re reel it as tightly as you can on the reel. A slight kink in the line and you'll backlash on the next cast.

Additionally, if you fish snaggy water, as soon as you yank your hook out of that bass turd tree, strip line and re reel it. Power pro has a nasty habit of digging in with the pressure and backlash on the next cast is likely, which makes the tree that you just beat.... laugh its stump off lol! :wink:

Bottom line, with braid, keep the line tight and smooth on the reel, and when casting keep very light thumb pressure on the spool.

13. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    If I,ve got something else in the water and things are quet, I'll pick at it for a while. Cutting is usually based on the fishing conditions, not the cost of the lost line.

My $.02 :big_smile:

14. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I usually try to get them out at some point usually when im at home relaxing. I always bring extra rods for various reasons this being one of them. I'm pretty good with these reels but every now and then I get a good one I cant easily get out . This way I don't have to quit fishing. And I have something to do with my time when the fish arn't biting

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Backlashes is just part of fishing. In time you will get the adjustments correct and most of the backlashes will disappear. Except when you throw directly into a heavy wind. Just keep practicing and adjusting.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    David,I use mono,And I pick most of my birdsnests out as well,They gotta be REAL bad for me to cut out. I dont have many any more,But I have noticed,when theres a tall tree near ,I cant seem to steer clear sometimes and they are the worst:wink::smile2::roll_eyes:

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Just dont be skeered to use to much thumb action. I learned on a jigmaster, couldnt tell ya how many nests I cut out with that old school mono.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Most of the time I will get it untangled but once in awhile I get aggarivated and start cutting.Then I have all kinds of short lead lines:roll_eyes:

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont backlash much but when i do its a good en.i bank fish a lot so im always trying to cast across to the other side of the river so i carry a lot of rods.when i get one i just wind it in and wait till i get it home that way i work on it while watching tv and if i start getting to the cutting point i just lay it down watch a little tv and start again after a short cool down.

20. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    When I said it took 10 mins, I might have been giving myself a little too much credit. This incident actually happened in March of this year! and I just tried to reel in as much as I could, and wrap everything else till I could get to it. It was unbelievable how long certain loops actually were. To all those who have kindly tried to teach me how not to backlash, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.... but honestly, I know how to cast a caster!!! Read my post! For those of you that did answer my question, thanks, it was good to know that I am not alone when it comes to taking the time to pick it out. This place is a great place and I've been helped by it so often.

Keep it up guys,