Backlash

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TRP1, Jul 23, 2007.

1. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    used my new Baitcaster setup over the weekend. Worked pretty well besides the few birds nests I got from back lash. Could you Folks give me some guildlines to these type of reels in regards to set up to prevent back lashes. Thanks for any info.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Practice,practice,practice. You have to rememberto keep your thumb on the spool as a break to stop your cast. Also adjust the breaki knob to a setting that you can get use to.Depending on what brand your reel is you have to get use to it .Practice makes PERFECT!!!:0a23:

3. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Amen to what Philly said!! I have only been using them for a couple years now. I still go out in the yard from time to time and just make cast after cast with them just to get used to the feel. What I do is put a couple sinkers on the line and then a swivel. I put a bullet shaped one on first like what you use for an rubber worm. This will help it slide through the grass without as much snag. Practice practice!!

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    My first question is what brand of reel are you using some have braking mechanisms to slow down the spool to the point where you hardly have to touch the spool at all . Other reels such as penns have no brakes at all these are the reels that frustrate so many beginners they are not marketed as casting reels for the most part but they do offer some newer model that are advertised as casting that come with brakes also . Most of the models discussed here do not , if you have one of these older reels here are a few pointers . Which ever brand or model you have first off is spool adjustment . Adjust the spool tensioner knob so that the spool moves ever so sloightly inside the frame now with weight attached to the line the weight should drop when the reel is put into free spool until it hits the floor without over running the spool (loosening up on the spool) this should be done every time you change weight until you have an educated thumb . Using heavy line also sooths some of the woes of learning , and on the faster reels thumb the spool lip not the line (line burn ouch) , and using heavier weights at first also helps until you get the hang of things . If there is something else i can do to help please pm me and i'll do what i can .

5. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The reel ia an Abu-10000

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Rich,
    With that reel you should not have to thumb the spool at all if it is adjusted correctly...W

7. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Phillycatcatcher4 and Cathouse are right on with the info. I've been using Abu for over 20 years, with practice and the right adjustment they can be casted a long distance . After a while you'll find you need very little thumb pressure or in most cases none at all. The weight of your sinker is also key. Using an Abu 1000 the length of the rod and the size of the weight is very important in avoiding back lash.You've heard the saying match the hatch, well you have to match the gear as well. Using Abu 1000 with 40 lb test and a 1/4 oz sinker on a heavy action 6' rod will be a problem . Start with say a 7 1/2 ' rod with 2 to ounce weight then go practice.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was like you. When I started with baitcasters, i did great and never had a problem. They worked great! Then I decided to put some line on them and give them a cast, and it all went to hell!!!!!!!!!:angry:

9. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LOL...........I'am sure with time and practice I'll get the hang of it.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I got my first baitcaster I knew it was going to take some time. I put some cheap line on it in case I needed to cut any, I did. I picked a day and went to a pond and just kept casting. I kept at it, cut thru birdsnests until I was confident enough to start fishing. I went through half a spool until I got the hang of it and respooled to go fishing. Cathooker said the same thing my instructions said with my 6500. Now the brakes are out and I just use my thumb. It just takes practice.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U got to practice to u master it.

12. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    good advice :cool2:

13. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Ditto to what Philly said, but some of those dual bearing end cap Abus are not for adjusting spool speed.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I bought 2 of the 10000 around the first of the year and haven't had a birds nest yet. I agree with metalman.