Backing Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by FourEyes45, Feb 22, 2007.

1. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ok Gang do any of you put Backing line on your reels before filling the spool with your regular line? I know some of the Bass hounds do.
    Have a Great day. Going to be a Good weekend to fish.
    Thanks
    Walter:cool2:

2. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    If your using a "superline", multi strand or braid, you need an initial backing of monofiliment on the spool. Monofilliment stretches and grabs the spool. Superlines tend to stretch less, have slippery surfaces-teflon, and will therefore spin on the spool, when the line is pulled. Use a monofiliment backling of comparable test as your superline.

3. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I have found that if you put a strip of duck tape on your spool before you tie your braided line on it will not slip.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I use mono as a backing and use prower pro for my main line

5. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Wonderful timing. I’m very interested working on the reels now, while watching it snow.
    Thinking of mono backing with fireline, but not sure about the knot, tying the two together what will work going through the reel winding guide. Thanks for any help in advance.

6. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I use 50# braided dacron line for the initial backing to mono or braid.

8. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i use backin on some of my rigs. i re-spool often (still using all mono) and on a couple of my higher capacity reels (relatively speaking) i use about 1/3 of backing and then 2/3 of line. This saves a bit of time and expense.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually use a backing that is equal to the maximum the reel is rated for. My main line is Power Pro with a diameter equal to the minimum the reel is rated for. 100 yds for smaller outfits and 200 yds for larger outfits.

It seems a bit backwards, but I also keep my drag set below the top reel rating so that nothing (like the rod, reel, or hook) will give out.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Uni-knot also can be used to tie braided to backing line.