Backfire on startup?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by LittleRiverBigFish, Sep 12, 2007.

1. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Got to run the '88 30 hp. Johnson I recently bought and I have to say I'm very happy. It appears to have all the power my 40hp did and weighs almost 75 lbs. less. I was a little concerned that it would not be able to efficiently plane out my 1760 PolarKraft (very heavy hull), but it does so with lots of throttle to spare. To top it off, it idles very smooth and I was able to troll crankbaits and thoroughly check out spots on the depth finder at low speeds.

One curiousity though, the motor is a pull start and with the exception of two times, has started on the first pull. The two times it did not immediately start, the first pull resulted in a backfire and then the motor would start on the second pull. Is that something to be concerned about?

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mine does this sometimes also but it will go days without doing ? You didnt mention if it does it on same day or if its later in the day!! Might be just the nature of the beast!! Good luck to you!! One last thought make sure you keep you lid down might be a little splash hit carb if its not sealed mine has open carb throat.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The timing advance could be sticking a little and not letting the time advance enough on the first pull at times. This will cause one to do that.