Back To the Land of Living!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    On 12/7 we had a major ice storm here in Se Ks, and also in Sw Mo and Ne Ok.

Over 70,000 were without power for at least a few days...as of yesterday there were still 33,000 without.

Our electric came back on at 5 pm today. (Sun 12/16...after a week of having none) But there are still a GREAT many still in the dark.

I have never seen the likes in this area before. Even my 84 yr old grandmother says the same.

Here in our little rural Ks town there is hardly a tree left that didn't collapse under the weight of the 2" thick ice.

It literally looks like a bomb went off. Or a tornado went through...except worse...instead of a swath being cut...it's everywhere.

The Ks National Guard and FEMA has been here in the area all week...there have been numerous warming and overnite shelters set up...the area churchs have been serving 3 meals a day...there is still a 6 pm-6am curfew in effect.

The whole town has essentially been blacked out...no power...no potable water...no gasoline...no work for most...no school. The residents living very far out in the country were stuck there without power for at least a couple days until the trees could be cut out of the roads.

I was dead asleep last Sun morning at 3 am when a loud CRACK!!! preceded a thunderous THUMP!!! and the whole house shook.

The power went out...and I jumped up...stumbled down the dark hallway...pushing bravely past 5 panicking kids and their mother...and looked outside.

There was a HUGE "branch" laying over a powerline on top of our house...along with several other "smaller" branches.

Both ends of the driveway were impassable...due to not just the branches...but 2 downed power lines lying in the side yard and in the alley as well.

Luckily...my wife had a place to go. Her cousin and his family had a generator and two small electric heaters...but not much room.

I tried to sleep a day in our house...it was 37 degrees inside...longjohns, sweats, long sleeved t shirt, sweatshirt, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, and a stocking cap...2 blankets...and a pair of comforters...and it was STILL way too cold.

I went and got my 100 lb chocolate labrador retriever and dragged her into bed with me, and managed to stay warm after that.

After that I stayed at my grandmothers house down in her basement up until yesterday. She has a gas heater down there, and went and got us a generator so we could at least have some juice until the electric came back on. (My family joined me after we got everything hooked up to the generator and functioning.

We're home tonite after being gone for a week...virtually homeless...staying here and there.

It sure feels good to be back in civilization....and most importantly...back together as a family in our own home.

Attached Files:

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Here are a few more pics.....

Attached Files:

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I am glad ya'll are alright. Sounds like you need to install one of those Radiant gas heaters or two.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    And a few more....

That particular limb in front of my house didn't break...but it did touch the ground it was so heavy.

Check out my neighbors truck...that would've been a really BAD time to have been sitting in the truck listening to some tunes while trying to stay warm during the power outage. Which many did...including myself when I was listening to the KC Chiefs game on the radio last Sunday.

Attached Files:

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks very much...we're all just fine. Just still shaken...and extremely broke after alot of unexpected expenses.

We do have access to a 5500 watt generator now...and yes...a gas radiant heater is on our to do list.

Living around here...a guy needs a 4 wheel drive...a basement...and now obviously a generator...and a gas heater without an electric blower...lol.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man oh man! Glad you all are OK Brian. We had a pretty bad ice storm too, but not quite that bad. They kept the power on somehow luckily. Is your house OK structurally?

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What ya need is a wood stove. Man oh man, my house is sitting on 75 most of the time. Your going to have to fire up the chain saw to clean the yard. Might as well heat your house with it next year.

Boy I'm glad all we have is 8" of snow. Hang in there it will eventually melt.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Brian I'm Glad You and Your Family are OK!We went through one of them Ice Storms back in 1991 but I don't think it was as Bad as the one You Folks just had.God Bless and I'm Glad Your back up and Running.Now them trees thats another story it will take along time for them to come back if they can at All.J.D.:sad2:

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Glad your OK Brian, that happened in Ohio a couple of years ago and I was without power for the better part of a week. At the same time the MAF on the van went out so I was getting maybe 2mpg traveling back and forth from my inlaws (about 30 miles) to the house to check and make sure the water lines didnt burst. I would go home and take a nice hot shower (bitter cold in the house) but it was like stepping out of a hot tub some of the best showers Ive ever had :smile2:. Hope everything is going better.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry. We had it bad but not like you. Look at it this way. There is always January to look forward to.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks Matt. Structurally the house is ok. The garage is another story.

The roof back there is metal...it's pretty mangled up...and seems to leak just a little towards the rear where the tree was lying.

A ex-roofer buddy of mine is coming over from work this weekend, and we're gonna crawl up on the roof and see what repairs we can make ourselves.

He said buy the beer and grill the steaks, and he won't charge anything...lol.

I just need to make sure the beer doesn't show up BEFORE we crawl up on the roof. :eek:oooh:

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Wow, you guys did get it bad. It ALL missed us up here.
    Glad to hear your back in your own home. That would be tough leaving everything behind, just to look for a warm place to sleep.
    I also think a wood stove would be your answer. Even if you run out of wood there is plenty of other things that burn that could go in there in an emergency. Plus you could cook food and heat beverages on top.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Grandma has a wood fireplace upstairs in her house. We'll cut it up for her to use....what she can't use will be picked up by the city if it's cut up into 4' or smaller pieces.

I took today and yesterday off work so we could get started cleaning up.

We've made considerable progress in a short amount of time though. (It helps when you know people who between them have 5 chainsaws...a pair of bobcats...a tractor with a frontloader...and grain trucks that double as wood haulers...lol. One of my close childhood friends who participated is a professional tree trimmer.)

It's a good feeling to have a bunch of buddies show up together unannounced with their equipment in hand...and ask..."Where do we start??"....MUCH cheaper too!! :wink: (I ALMOST feel bad now for catching more fish than they do...lol)

We've been working our tails off tho. Here are a few pics of our progress from yesterday and this morning.

Compared to the other pics I posted of before we tore into it...there is QUITE the difference between the two.

The big pile of brush in the front ditch is from the front yard ALONE!

Attached Files:

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Here's a couple pics of the damage to the garage. We were VERY fortunate this is as bad as the damage got...well...except for some shingles on top...and Molly's dog pen. But by the looks of things...she's already got a new spot in mind. (Waaay away from any big trees...lol)

She was still in her pen after the tree barely missed her dog house and leveled one section of her pen. She's staying inside with us until we get it fixed.

Attached Files:

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks John.

Like I said before...I don't think there's many tree left in this whole area.

But on the bright side...there'll be lots of free fire wood for people who need it, and the deer will love the new hiding spots out in the timber.

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...funny you should mention that Gary...our hot water heater is a gas op.

I took a hot shower a couple of times here when the power was out and the temps were in the mid 20's.

It was like a sauna in there...lol.

I knew how cold it'd be when I got out...so I stayed in until the hot water was almost ran out...lol.

I'd be willing to bet I set a new record for speed towel drying!! :smile2:

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...there's always a bright side isn't there John?

It was bad for us in the sense that we were staying here, there, and everywhere...but there were those who had it worse...and still do.

A 90 year old man just over the border in Carl junction, Missouri was struck in the head and killed by a falling limb as he was trying to clean up his yard last Monday after the ice quit coming down.

It's sad...but it's sure not worth having a clean yard to get out there and get hurt or killed while doing so. It seems to me like a good idea to wait until perhaps the ice melts off the trees to start cleaning?

Well...if nothin' else...now you know where those little ridiculous warnings come from on the things we purchase.

You know...like the one on the hair dryer saying not to take a bath while using this product. :wink:

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks Dave.

We plan on moving within the next couple of years anyhow...so we probably won't be installing a new heating system.

But you can bet our new house WILL have a basement, a generator shed, a gas radiant heater, a fireplace....and NO trees right next to it!!

We'll be a bit more prepared and self sufficient at the next turn.

19. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am glad everyone is safe and sound... only thing damaged is material and it is fixable/repairable. Thank goodness for that.

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome back Brian!

Makes us all wonder how the pioneers survived it.

Take care.
    Cheryl