Back to the 64 Evinrude

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jailcop2, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    There is an adjustment knob on the front of my motor that says lean , goes from 1-7 I think, what exactly does this do ? I have the motor running but it's not quite right still, as I accelerate it will speed up then bog down , I feather the throttle and it speeds up again , then bogs down . I still have a leak problem at the quick connect , as I pump up the ball when it gets firm I see fuel dripping into the water. Could this be causing my problem ?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brain ,
    That knob is attached to a special "Screw" who is long.tapered and who's function is to adjust the amount of fule that can pass thru a Jet or actally a seat under that "Needle"
    Generally Bigger #s', more fule ... as a result of unscrewing and making more room for the fule to flow thru the passage. Reverse is true of the smaller Numbers.. This is in effect changing the Air to fule ratio your motor is being fed.

Most of the older motors had Two:
    one for Low speed jet
    and one for the high speed jet.

Now I will get out of the way and let the experts really explain it. LOL

R Green

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Before you can adjust the idle mixtures, you must first stop the fuel leak. Walmart generally has the tank fittings and the motor fittings for Evinrude. I'd replace the one at the motor... same thing if it is sucking air... you have to have all the externals right before you can adjust the internals.

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Cleaned the plugs , they were fouled bad , and took it out today, this made it run much better . I made sure the fuel line had plenty of free play so that the fitting could seat as flush as possible I'm sure now this must have helped also . I'll be making a trip to Walmart soon to replace the fitting.
    Thanks Guys
    Brian

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Look under the cowling and see if that knob is hooked to a cable looking deal or a linkage deal. Get me the model number and i'll tell you how to set that carb.
    What brand and size of plug are you running at the current time.

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks again guys , will pull that info when the weather clears and get alittle time , then PM you Bubbakat .
    Brian