Back to School Already

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bumper, Aug 1, 2008.

1. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I can't believe that school is fixin' to start already. Took Austin to open house at his school today to meet his kindergarten teacher. He starts back to school on Monday. It's gonna be hard gettin' his schedule back on track and tryin' to get him to go to bed while it's still daylight out. It seems like they move the start date back every year. Anybody else think this is kinda crazy?

2. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Is that him in the picture at the bottom of your post? He is adorable!!

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    We always started at the end of August or the beginning of September. It does seem like they start earlier every year but they might end early too. Tell the little guy sorry for me.:wink::smile2:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico,at least in my county,we have a set # of days,I think 180 for a school year. I eavesdropped the local principal telling a man that the state is wanting full year round curriculum soon:crazy:

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    most of the short school years were so the agricultural backbone of this country could use the children on the farm doing chores and such. This is rarely the case anymore. Our children are asked to do more and more each year to be competitive with the rest of the world in education and the only way to accomplish this will be to extend the school year. When they are small and just starting to school it is heart breaking to see them with backpacks loaded with more weight that SFOBC candidates humping for the bus and then coming home with more homework than we did as seniors. I think I would rather see the school year extended a little more. Of course when they hit high school and we become dumber than rocks, then I say school, 7 days a week, 18 hours a day, 365 days a year:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Time is going pretty fast, I bet he is so excited that he will not be able to sleep

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    good luck to ya with the school year! I go back this Wednesday but in Ar by law we can't bring the kids in until the 19th or the first weekday after that if it falls on a weekend. I been working like a mad woman getting the rest of my stuff done and I am about through!

MY DEFINING MOMENT!

Hardly anyone here wants full year cuz it messes your sports schedule up and you can't teams that you would normally play if they are on 179 day schedule. ( that's how many days the kids HAVE to be in school, we have to be there 189, if we are on a regular contract)

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Can't open a day too soon:smile2::smile2::smile2: I like the idea of 13 months a year,,,,and no breaks:embarassed: Easy now, i'm jus kiddin:wink:

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LMAO @ John (he's toast) Fisher! :smile2:

10. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Wow, already back to school. My kids don't go back until the 26th and I think that seems too early! Best of luck to the lil fella's kindergarten year!:wink:

11. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I'm a grandpa now and all of "my own" are out of school. What a relief. The grandkids live in Arkansas and me and wife are in Indiana

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My kids start the 22nd and man are they cryin` about it. LOL

13. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, the first day of school is over and Austin's already been in bed a while gettin' ready for day #2. He started to get a little teary eyed this morning, but there were some kids in his class that were in his pre-k class last year, so he was okay. He likes his teachers, and I think he'll do good this year. I can't believe they acually begin to read in kindergarten now. Good luck to everyone else and their kids as they begin school this year.

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm amazed at what they learn now. I was lucky if I could tie my shoes in kindergarten and Eric and Joe were starting to do some math:smile2: They start next Thursday. Joe is happy, his Kindergarten teacher got moved to first grade so he has her again this year. Works out well for him since he's kind of shy. Eric starts 3rd grade. Man, that makes me feel old!

Hey John, so who's repeated the same grade more times, you or Cher?:smile2: Sorry, couldn't resist.....

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Yeah Standards have come up as far as what has to be taught...State Test scores are the administrators nightmare.

I have spent hours on the phone with boss this summer, since BIO is now an EOC (End of Course) test...meaning that they cannot GRADUATE if they don't pass that test given by the state NOT US..and we have nothing but the curriculum to go by that's handed to us by the state, so trust me it's a crap shoot. There are NO released test items yet, so no way to see what's been asked, no way to "teach to the test" which is good and bad, depending on the nature of the subject matter. I couldn't teach everything they want taught in 9 years, much less 9 months.

I haven't taught it in 2 years, another guy took it at my request so we could add more offerings and the pilots were NOT good I understand. They took their "real" test for the time this past year. Scores are not in. Admin is worried sick. :/ So I'm back and I guessssss.....

We'll see!:eek:oooh:

16. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    He is a cutie, David!

My daughter has never attended public school. We were blessed to have a great Christian school nearby that has a great staff and a lot to offer. Their schedule is also a lot more reasonable than public school.

I taught there for four years in the high school. It was a great experience.

Now we are homeschooling. This is working even better than private schooling. My daughter is entering seventh grade--her second year of homeschool. The homeschool association here is outstanding, providing great benefits to parents.

Interestingly, I do not homeschool my daughter because of any particular religious convictions (or at least I did not originally, even with Christian school)--it is simply a far superior education to anything public school can offer.

Sorry for the hijack! :embarassed:

17. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    You can send them to all the Christian schools you want but if it's not being taught and lived at home? it's not gonna take.

Homeschooling is GREAT if you can keep them up with the social aspects of young adults. Church groups and such are a great way to do that too.

My fear with home school is that a parent pulls them out for disciplinary issues, I see that ALL the time and it's parents that would rather have them home than deal with the behavior issues.

NONE OF WHICH I AM SURE APPLY TO THE ONES OF YOU THAT HOME SCHOOL---- READ MY LIPS!!! I am sure you are doing a fine job cuz you are committed. Some aren't. :/

I woulda home schooled mine MYSELF if I could have.

Glad it's working out for Deb and Jeremiad and anyone else that spends their time homeschooling their child...my hat is OFF to you cuz I know you pour a lot of time into it!