Back to old school for me!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by FireWater, Apr 22, 2007.

1. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    Saturday me and my 83 year old grandfater and his step son went down to the river to do some fishing. After reading about how great circle hooks are for the past few weeks, I went down to Wal-Mart and picked up some. Gamakatsu 6/0 Circle hooks. I was think we were going to use cut bait but they allready picked up worms. The fish took the bait and I would not set the hook like told and never got a fish in the 8 hours of fishing. :sad2: Back to the old school for me. The only thing I can think happened was the type of bait... Circle hooks are self setting??????? That is fishing...

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont like them fishing in current. I cant hook a thing if I'm casting up current with a circle hook.

3. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    You know the wind was bad 30+ mph. All I now is that I got out fished by a old J hook.. Tap Tap Fish.... After the 3rd fish took my bait I was ready to go home.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    With a circle the fish has to load the rod. If the wind was high or you were upcurrent and the fish hits and runs down current the rod may never load.
    I've tried the scenario with different leader lengths but never the hookup ratio I was looking ever occured. I prefer a Khales. With a Khales you have an option. They will often hook themselves like a circle but when circumstances dictate you can snap his neck.

5. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

I like Khale hooks as well. You get the best of both worlds with them. You can either set the hook or at night if visiblity is low and something takes off it has a good chance of self setting. I've had terrible luck circle hooks, in fact i've never caught a darn thing with em. I sure some people have good success but i'm not one of em.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i been having trouble getting fish to stay hooked once i set the hook.had 18 or 20 good fish on landed 1.went on internet,found a place called addictive fishing,ordered 30 10/0 gama.circle hooks,and went back fishing.ive had 11 bites and cought 9 fish from 7 to 18 lbs.this is the first time ive ever tried circle hooks and i belive it depends on size fish in combination with size hook.i will still use j hooks but not for the larger fish.

7. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    All I have in my box are khale I have had some great hook sits with them

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    regular gama octopus for me, they are the best for my style fishing.

9. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    I also have bad luck with the circle hooks on rod and reel went back to Khale hooks but have done well with them 4/0 on trotlines

10. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    most of my fishing for Big cats is at night and I love the circle hooks. all I see is the rod bending and BAMM!! he's on. haven't lost any after the hook set.

I still use j and kahle for other fish ....

just don't jerk the circles as they corner hook

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Circle hooks take some getting used to. I have a pretty high hook up ratio but I have been using circles for quite awhile now. You just got to fish with what you have confidence in, if its J style or Khale so be it but its circle hooks for me.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Maybe I'm just a weenie, but I never fish up current. I anchor so that I am fishing down current from the boat. It just takes me too much wieght to hold a rig in place up current, and even then it is so much more liekly to drag and snag that to me it's just not worth it. How do you cope with this problem?