Back Tension Shooting.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by bownero, Sep 15, 2008.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm sure some of the archers out there know what this is and some of you may not. Back Tension Shooting involves using the back muscles to set the shot off. The only physical part is pushing with the bow hand and pulling back with the release arm. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use a string cut and tied to your draw length. For the release archers, clip the release to the string and wrap your index finger around the trigger. Really dig into it. Now push with the bow hand and pull back with the release arm. Did it go off with a suprise? It should if done correctly. Practice this for awhile before incorporating it to the bow. The Back Tension system of shooting a bow is the correct way of shooting a bow. Not knowing when the arrow goes off will eliminate any faults of shooting. Like punching the trigger or anticipating the shot. Target panic can set in if you keep allowing yourself to punch the trigger. Many guys I know had target panic including myself. It is the most frustrating thing to deal with in an archers enviroment!!

Look at youself in the mirror when drawing the bow. Is the form good? Try this. Blind Bale Shooting. Stand in front of a bale about 5' from it. Nock the arrow, draw back, close the eyes and shoot. This eliminates anticipating the shot, because you are not aiming. You are just feeling the shot process. Keep doing this for a few weeks or any time before aiming practice. Around 10 to 20 shots is OK. This helped my target panic tremendously. I recommend this style of practice to everyone that shoots a bow.

If you have an archery instructor near you, give him ot her a visit to brush up on the skills. NOVICE, AMATUER or PRO can benefit from this.

anyone feel free to add to this advice and good shooting!!!:big_smile:

Mark..

2. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks, this article was just in a hunting magazine a couple weeks ago, it said everything you just did. It had a few things to add but you summed it up pretty close though.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks Mark, all bow related material is being absorbed. :big_smile:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Bump this back up. Im still learning.