Back online after Tornado on 4/2

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flyingpig, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Well, my youngest son and I got to experience first hand what it was like last night to ride out a Tornado. Watching through the Root Cellar door last night here in Lakewood, Illinois, at around 6:30 pm, we got hammered by one of the worst storms I've seen in my life. We had a Tornado go right over the top of us as we stood in the door of our Root Cellar that is probably a hundred years old. All I can say is may God Bless the man that built this so many years ago...It done its job and it done it WELL...We had some major damage to our house and got to watch our shed and Jon-Boat do some unreal acrobatics along with watching alot of the shingles stand on end and then dissappear from the roof. Nobody got hurt, but I can say this...I don't ever want to go through this again.
    That and I've been having withdrawls from not being on the BOC site, due to no power the last 24 hours.

Attached Files:

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    WOW!!! Those pictures are unreal! Glad to hear that you made it through it OK.

3. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    The shed was behind the boat and the boat was pointing in the opposite direction. This is where the boat landed after the trailer hit the side of the house.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Good to see you made it through ok. Shelby County here in Indiana got hit by a bad tornado, just a few miles north of where my grandma lives. Quite a few houses were flattened, but luckily nobody was killed.

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Glad you made it ok. Story of a lifetime!

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thats rough man, i glad you got through it alright

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I think that line of storms developed right over my cabin here at the Lake of the Ozarks. The whole line popped up in a period of 30 minutes around mid afternoon. My cordless phone was cutting in and out as it built up..filled with static. Then as it moved off east at 50-60 miles an hours it grew huge....glad you made it ok.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Glad to know that you made it ok. Tornados are quick. The seem like they come out of nowhere, sound like a freight train, and tear up everything in their path.

You are a blessed man, when things look down, remind yourself that you are blessed!

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm glad to hear you made it out ok. Those pictures are unreal. It really puts it into perspective how dangerous tornadoes are.

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sorry for your loss but i'm glad that everbody is all right.

11. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dang thats crazy, yea we got hit pretty hard as well but I dont think that hard. I was actually driving through that storm on 270W going back to school in Columbia, it was one heck of a storm. Glad to hear you are all ok though!!

12. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Glad your OK! Your area got it BAD!

13. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Praise GOD that you and your family are safe. There were many others that did not make it. You and yours take care.

14. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and blessings.

If I was the type of person that got scared, I'd have to say this would have probably made the list and I won't lie...We were both saying the Lord's Prayer when all heck broke loose. I just may of had a few more choice words of wisdom than my son before the prayer.

I had priorities that evening TAKE CARE OF MY SON, then take care of myself. I should have been at work when this hit our area, but I told my boy, that I wasn't leaving home till I found out what was going to happen. I've watched storms almost my entire life and I'm a pretty good judge of radar as to when and where it's going to hit. Now I'm glad I done what I did. I was correct in what I thought.

Thanks again everyone,

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey - After looking at those photos :eek: - I'm just glad that your ok. :)

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

16. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thank God you are all alright.

17. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    We went for a drive today to see how much storm damage was around us, and what we found, I couldn't hardly believe.
    As we were driving south and west of our house, we could see back to the north and east, and the trees that are
    southwest of our house towards Williamsburg Hill were all twisted and broken up in the fence row.
    There were at least two machine sheds and one house that were completely destroyed along this path
    and it was all in a straight line from our house. We also found a debris field at least a mile or more long,
    about a quarter to a half mile southwest, just behind the hill on the pasture across the road from our house.
    The debris field was all the parts of the roof from a new house and a machine shed up on Williamsburg Hill,
    the other parts was a big machine shed about a mile away from us.

The way it looks is that the tornado lifted after it hit the hill by the pasture across the road from us
    and was aloft as it went over my son and I.
    It really looks like we were directly in the middle of the tornado when it went over us in the root cellar.
    I decided that my son and I are really two very lucky people…VERY LUCKY

We still don’t know for sure how much $ damage we had, but the adjuster is suppose to be here on Friday
    to see what is tore up. So far it looks like we are going to be siding two sides of our house, one side of the roof,
    repairing or replacing my old shed, replacing my 12'x12' metal shed, replacing our deck table and chairs,
    replacing our TV Tower, replacing both our gas and charcoal grills,
    and repairing our tornado proof picnic table (the ones we made that really do stay on the ground in a tornado).
    The Jon-Boat survived unharmed, even though it looks like one wicked parking job on top the picnic table.

Thanks again everyone,
    This is what the B.O.C. is really all about.

Thanks again,
    Charlie,

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    glad to know that you're ok!!!

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Charles, praise God that you listened to your "gut" and stayed home. Instincts are generally right.
    Glad you and your son are safe. That is the most important thing. The rest can all be fixed or replaced.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya charles. i got a real scare. we had one go right over waynesville il that day. it luckly was up high and caused no damage. the sky was blackish green and spinning like a top. i was in the alley doing some work and heard the thunder coming. my neighbor said are you seeing this. i looked at the sky and it was low and whirling fast. i knew it was tornadic. he said there was a tornado warning for logan co. we live in dewitt co about 3 miles from the logan line. i said thats it.

i had two dogs in the yard and ran as fast as i could to get them. one (the pit) i grabbed by the collar and dragged to the shop. i ran for the other (lab) and grabbed her up by the collar and carried her to the house as the rain began to pelt down hard. i ran through the house and started down the sidewalk to my grandparents two doors down. i heard a roar and the chairs flew off the deck. just as i made ti there the hail began to come down.

10 min later it was calm and rainy. i would have been outside during a tornado if it had been on the ground. thank the lord it was in the air or i would have been. my wife and son was coming into town as it was hitting.:eek: it was a vrey scarry deal. the trees bent down good but i seen no damage in town.