back in the saddle again!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by baitchunker, Jan 24, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im back. i returned yesterday afternoon from the worst hunting experience i have had at the old homeplace hunting camp. everything went wrong, and i do mean everything. i think ol mr. murphy was gunnin for us (murphy's law).

it started off ugly the first day. we put a customer in a stand that overlooks a food plot that sits in between a cutover and a pine plantation. it has been an excellent spot all year, untill this day. he hadnt been in the stand 15 min. when a colony of mexicans began walking through the cutover planting pine tree's. awesome...
    next we promised a young boy he could shoot a 6-point since it would be his first buck ever. normally you can just about kill a basket rack buck on the property by throwing a rock at them. they are almost tame... unless you are a 9 year old boy, in which case you cant see anything but does and yearlings... great.
    next we got the 8th plague of the Bible--SNOW-- snow has a strange effect on animals in the deep south. most of them only see the white stuff once in thier 7 year life span. the deer hunting shut down like we built a dam. not to mention everything was wet and cold with the daily temps varying from 26 as a low to 35 as a high. im just not set up for snow, actually i hate the stuff. whoopeee.....
    next our cook got snowed in and couldnt make it to the camp to prepare dinner. that means we got to "impress" our guests with a breakfast dinner. you know, eggs,bacon,toast, and oh right nothing else. fantastic...
    as luck would have it, the last morning i mistakenly shot a cull buck. a big big big no-no. i had seen several bucks running does through the woods, when all of the sudden this guy jumps out after a doe. he had 4 up on the side facing me. what appeared to be a tall white rack, and at least one brow tine and several points on the other side. i tried to get him to stop running and look at me so i could make sure he was a shooter. i whistled, nothing. i yelled, nothing. i waved my arms like a maniac, nothing. finally i put the shot of my life on this running buck. i was thrilled untill i walked over and realized that even though he was tall and had 4 up on one side, he was an 8-point missing a brow tine. to ice the cake he only had a 9" spread.:embarassed: i got my butt handed to me by my boss. (he is ridiculously maticulous about what we harvest). even the customers were saying things like "wow... i dont think i would have shot that" and " i coulda killed 5-6 of them allready".
    fabulous...

low and behold i made it back to town only to discover that my cousin broke his arm, my uncle had an emergency apendectomy, my baby sister moved to mobile in a bad part of town, Amy was cranky, and my mother drove down from north alabama for a surprise visit. and i have to go back to the camp sunday morning and i wont be home again untill thurs. night. that lil tidbit didnt help Amy's attitude very much.

i cant wait for the warm nights of spring (which will hopefully be in feb.) so i can crawl outa the mud and get back in the saddle again.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Wow, usually when you step in something, you get lots of good luck. You my friend seem to have fallen into it instead of stepping into it. Hope it all works out in the end.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Some days (or weeks, in your case:wink:) you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. Sorry about the week, but congrats on a nice shot. It'll get better. Look at it this way, at least you're out in the woods hunting for work instead of on an assembly line somewhere bolting little widget parts onto big widgets (or deployed with the Corps:wink:)

Hope next week's trip is better for ya!

Branden

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Since Im not a hunter what is a cull buck?

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Poor guy, u have it better than most at "work" buddy, it'll get better hang in there. I'm sure u'll feel better when u get to hand somebody's butt to them at the yard!!!good luck

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    its a buck that has a messed up set of antlers. likely to never develope into a trophy whitetail. in this case i call him a cull buck but the truth is he was just a young deer with a tall rack. he prolly would have been something nice in the next few years. at least he will taste good.

thanks for the encouraging words. i really shouldnt be complaining about this considering it really does beat being deployed, or working at a "real job" lol.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We all have days like that from time to time. Heck don't let it get you down. You'll be back on top in no time.:beated:

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck streak, and I thought bad luck only comes in 3's.
    Next week will be better, count on it brother. :big_smile::wink:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    "Mama said there would be days like that":smile2:

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Damn I had lil tear there in my eye for a minute....
    :smile2:

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey boots:

you bring the cheese and crackers, and ill keep your glass full of the whine. lol!

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hang in there it will get better!:eek:oooh:

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    God Bless you Brother,
    It will get better, hey The Marines and your Mother told you there would be day's like this.

IT WILL GET BETTER.
    DOC:big_smile:

14. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Well I think you should be on the way back up from this day. Did you say ma was movin in! Dohhh...... You got to keep in perspective.....heheh