Back in the day

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Back in the days before the paddle wheel on most fish finders and then the GPS systems, there was a way to judge your boat speed for trolling. Something similar to what the ancient sailors used.

The gadget that I used to estimate my trolling speed was made by Eagle Claw. It had a MPH scale (0-6+) and another unit of measurements that you could use for your best bite speed (broken down in smaller units), whether you were using the trolling motor of your kicked motor, it worked. Attached to this scale was a piece of metal which pointed to which ever unit of speed you wanted to watch. Attached to the metal pointer was a lite weigh metal cable, about 8 feet long, which was attached to a weigh. How accurate was it, who knows, but it would put you on the desired trolling speed to catch striper's when you were pulling hard baits.

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is an interesting tool. I'll bet it did its job very well. I bet it worked probably a lot better than gps or this new fangeled electronics when you were trolling in current.:smile2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing Mac. I never heard of one of them. Learn something new every day.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My buddy has one of those..

We would use it to get a measurement on the current speed while anchored so we had an idea on how fast the water was flowing on the river.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thats interesting. Thanks for sharing:wink: