back from vacation, Warsaw report for July 4-19th

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just got back from vacation, left on July 4th and got back last night. Fished mainly below the dam, fishing was slow, managed several 2-8 pound fish but really had to work for them. BUT, I went on a trip with Steve Brown while I was down there and thats a whole different story! He taught me how to drift fish and we caught 35-40 fish in a few hours fishing, had a total blast! Don't want to say where we were fishing but it was up on Truman. He taught me more in 30 minutes than I could have ever learned by trial and error, drift fishing is a blast and some very intense action when they're biting. A few times we had 4 rods all down with fish on, spent alot of time with doubles on, laughing as we were both trying to reel in fish. Anyway, for those that are serious about catching cats, its definately worth the investment of spending a day with Steve Brown. I fished below the dam last night and had two really nice fish on but never got them to the boat before the hook pulled out. One hit, set the hook, and then pulled about 20 yards of drag before I could get the the fish turned, usually a bruiser when that happens. I'm guessing it was a flathead and that the hook caught some lip meat and didn't get a good set since they have big mouths, oh well. Also, my new favorite hooks are the Frenzy Circle hooks, never seen any hook take a bite like those do, Steve got me started on those and I think he still sells them, if you try them you will make the switch, here's a link, http://www.frenzytackle.com/products/hooks2.htm. I was using Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circles before these, the Gama's now rank 2nd in my opinion but are still very good.
    Anyway, had a great vacation and enjoyed the time off, good luck out there everyone! Chris

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Chris glad you had a good time on vacation. To bad you didnt get the two big bites you had in. Adam and I was back down on saturday fished all night did no good. On of the weekends I would like to get together and do some fishing. We can take my boat if you want. Going out on the Mo river this weekend with Brandon. Maybe you can teach me to drift fish. Never done it. Thanks for the info on the hooks. I will have to look for some of them. I use the other ones you use and really like them.
    Good luck on your next trip.

Tom

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Chris, congrats on a successful vacation. thats your time, not the fishes. I just wish i has the $$$ and the time to go. Steve is a nice fellow and i hear is top knotch guide.He wants that trophies Rusties makin,,,,WE'LL SEE. After i win it, maybe i can swap it for one of them pink rods.:wink:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip, I am excited to fish with a guide in the future so I can see how Wrong I have been doing everything!

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Chris, wish you could have caught some bigger fish, but I am not going to feel too sorry for ya. You got to spend Two weeks in Warsaw on Vacation, And had the opportunity to go out on Truman with Steve. I am sure it was a blast. Welcome back, now get back to work. (Protect and Serve)
    :big_smile_2:

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tom, we'll definately have to meet up and do some fishing. I'm taking a neighbor kid out on the MO river tomorrow, take him fishing alot and even gave him one of my new cat rod and reels for his 15th birthday this month. Been a little while since I've fished the river but always have a good time out there. I'll post how we did tomorrow night. Chris

7. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Glad ya had a good time Chris. Thanks for the report. Hope ya get into some hogs tomorrow night. We will have to get together sometime up there at Warsaw. I think Troy is out there tonight. He should have a report for us in the morning.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Good luck on the river. Way to go on giving the neighbor boy a new rod and reel. Glad to see you taking a kid fishing that might not have the chance to go. I know that my hunting and fishing keep me out of a lot of trouble when I was young.

Tom

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Good times ,I love drift fishing ,its easy to go out and catch 60 fish in a day ,just never caught anything real big just 30 lbblues and under ,but if you want alot of action drifting is where its at.(man i got to get my boat fixed)

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Steves taught many of the members on here the art of drift fishing. Glad you got to go on a trip with him. He is a good person and a great guide. IMO

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I need to get a a trip with Steve.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    www.catfishsafari.com

Find a buddy or two or three to split the costs with. Come for the weekend, fish with Steve one day and go out on your own the next, stay at his Bed & Breakfast overnight and enjoy Tina's fabulous breakfast!

13. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Took my mom out fishing with Steve on Sunday as a make up trip for a dead day below the dam. Bait was tough to find, but Steve was persistent and finally found the shad, and the fish were not fired up for some reason, but we had a good time, caught a few fish, and learned a lot! Steve's top notch, very efficient, and more than willing to explain things I'm sure his clients have asked him a thousand times. We'll be back to fish with him again soon!

14. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Did you fish up on Truman or Below the Dam?

15. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Up on the lake..Osage arm. I'll be on the Grand and Tebo arms later this week through early next week. Crappie in the mornings, cats during the day, and whites/hybrids in the evenings. I juts hope this bimini top for my boat gets here soon! :confused2:

16. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm with you...I'd like to get up there and take a few trips with Steve myself. I'm thinking about trying to go sometime this winter.