Back from the Alamo

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by SyKo450, Nov 15, 2009.

1. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Back home from the flat trip and a couple of my coldest nights evarrrrrrrr...

Got to the spot at around 6.30pm Friday with about 25 4"-6" tilapias that I caught in the Mecca area, took about 1 hour to set and rig everything up, casted out at around 8pm and set the rod in the holder with bait clicker on, within 45 mins I heard about 5 slow clicks, 30 mins later I hear about the same amount of clicks, and went on for about 2 hours with the same thing

At around 11.30pm, I get the first hit, clicked for a good 3 seconds before I took the rod out of the holder and tried setting the hook, but failed and everything went back to the same amount of clicks for the rest of the night and morning

Everything went the same Saturday night, with only 1 run, but on the second run of the night, I finally set the hook and instantly starting feeling vicious side to side head movement, must have had it at least 20 feet from the bank when the line went slack..

I did manage to reel in a 24 pound tree stump, 17 pound tree branch, about 2 pounds of cotton, 80 yards of line, 15+ hooks and sinkers and one spinning reel

Unfortunately I did not get to meet up with DCR on Saturday for some reason, called him up twice but had no answer, hope everything is well for him though

Overall, I must have lost about 20+ hooks and about 8 sinkers, fish weren't really active with this 45º-50º weather, if anything I will probably be back to the river sometime in either May or June for the rest of the summer, which means I guess I'll be going back to channels the rest of this winter:sad2:

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sorry about the slow bite. Cooler weather definitely slows things down for flats. That was pretty cold out there some log burning definitely would have been in store. Thanks for the reports though and you may want to give it some day time shots during the colder months than at night - for flats and channels alike even.

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I did try all day today and had 95% less clicks

Wind was horrible, hot chocolate was great

Burnt wood all night but fell asleep for like 45 mins and woke up with a frozen nose and a near dead fire and had to abandon my gear and run about 1/8th of a mile back to where I was parked and slept in the truck

4. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Rick it's to damn cold to be out there this time of year night fishing. You are asking to get sick in that damp bone chilling weather down there. Lake Cahuilla will be stocked this week and Weist and Sunbeam Lakes also will be stocked with trout the next two weeks for the holiday. :smile2: LDJ

5. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    About the cold, I realized that last night lol, I told myself that I wasn't returning until those hot nights rolled by

Trout fishing? Never tried it, what's the strategy for trout?

Feel like going to Lake Cahuilla now that ya mention it

6. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Maybe next time. That flattin fishin takes a lot of patience, even in the summer. We were just out fishing in the Delta and we caught most of our fish from midnight to 5:00am.....Go figure......Was pretty chilly too. I don't let the cold weather slow me down, I just try and prepare for it. It doesn't really bother me too much, I just love being out there. I have spots where I can get nice channels all winter. But this year I may turn my focus to those big delta strippers.:wink:

7. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Fish are some strange things sometimes

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    For the cold, I wear a LOT of layers, including insulated coveralls,,and lay down in a nice sleeping bag rated for 0 degrees;. Plus, I'll use some blankets with that set-up..I can keep warm and comfortable while I'm in it.

I won't burn a fire, or have any other type of light,, I think it hinders the Flathead bite..

I'll use a headlight, and flashlights as needed, but, keep it to a minimum..Quiet, too..

9. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Can they hear even with some fast current going on?

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I believe they "FEEL" sound. I think they are aware when they feel the tires of your vehicle roll up,, and then slam the door.. They don't necessarily leave, but, are alerted.

They're an apex predator, and their whole body is a complex sensory organ,,designed to locate food, consume it, and reproduce..and protect them selves..They will keep themselves safe, but,, are afraid of nothing..

The skin of catfish is like a big tastebud.. they have better hearing of almost all freshwater fish..and, obviously, are a bit higher up in the intelligence department , or at least highly evolved behavior.

Awesome creatures..

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Right on Greg.... I agree whole heartedly

I have seen this part of them quite vividly on the canals at Brawlely at the sand dunes...
    The sun just comming up and its progression in the day illuminates the pods of fish that are in the riffles.....
    You have to sneak up ..... just out of sight from their vision.... I witnessed the fish taking off as the sound of a 4 stroke bike drives along the banks....

This place is great for drifting for cats... sight fishing at its best....

I like to make a "zip trip" to check out the location of fish while it is on "TV" so to speak...... when the light changes you cant see em anymore... and especially when the wind puts a little wave action on top.....

Come back at sundown and into the night..... can get cold this time of the year.....

My buddy Steve was there last weekend..... no wind... 85 and great.. find out more tonight on if he fished......

PS... got to look at the week... but now that I finished the Mexico trip, its time to travel to Squaw Lake.... camp and burn some wood and chit-chat...

I have decided to skip the delta this year its a long drive up there and it is rough fishing out there..... lots of possibilities for things to happen....

12. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Yea, that's what I meant to say but got lazy to edit, I'm on dial up :embarassed:

Anyways, yea, I'm a fan of quiet fishing, gently closing car doors, and light walking, when I get to a spot, that's the first thing I tell my friends or brothers, DON'T SLAM THE DOOR, and they slam the door thinking I'm playing and taking it too serious

I have no idea where I was going with this post after reading yours, so for now I'm leaving it like this and coming back later when I remember, ranting throws me off

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    LOL,,,, Have another Brew!!!!:smile2:

14. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Can't remember what the heck I was going to say

I don't know if I'll go back out to the river to give flats another try this year, I kind of need some motivation to do so

Would they be in the deep, dark parts of the river?

15. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Then there is the question about shining light on the water while fishing for Flats.
    I always try and limit the amount of light that hits the water directly like from a lantern or flashlight.
    It always annoys me when someone I'm fishing with keeps playing their flash over where my bait is.

16. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I'm no flathead expert by any means, but it is my understanding that they stack up on top of each other in deep holes during the winter. So I'd say your best bet would be to fish really deep holes in the chilly months. In the winter finding them may be a little easier, getting them to bite is another story. I wouldn't get discouraged just keep trying. Go out during the daylight hours when it is warmer. If I lived close to flatheads I wouldn't care it were January or June, I'd still fish for em. I can only imagine what it would be like to have a 30-40lb flat on the other end of my line.

17. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Tom, light in water sure is irritating, right next to stomping with your feet on the ground or purposely dropping something

James, it seems as if you're trying to inspire me to take another trip out there lol

I wanted to try suspending the bait, but at the spot I was at, the current was too fast, I need to explore the river a lot more so I can find a calm stretch of water, dang river has very limited spots

18. mako cat

mako cat New Member

State:
    San Diego
    I fish the canals for fish t eat. People I talk to in the area say the New and Alamo rivers (especially the New River) have bad tasting fish which might even be bad for you. Is that true?

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff. I heard the same thing about them rivers too.

20. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I've heard that they're not edible, but I thought that the New River was the cleaner one?