Back from Pickwick

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by TheMadCatter, May 4, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    so we got back from pickwick last night. it was without a doubt one of the most interesting/risky trips ive ever had. after driving there through rain that almost made us stop, because you just couldnt see 5 feet infront of you. we arrived at our hotel to find that anyplace within 15 miles stops serving food at 10pm.....lol. so for dinner it was jerky and potato chips.
    woke up to rain on the day of my guided bluecat hunt. our guide still showed up at 8am on the dot, and we headed to the boat ramp to wait it out. but on the way something beautiful happened.....it just stopped raining. we got there put in and went to work.
    it started off slow with only a few 2-3 pound channels, and then my girlfriend landed her personal best channel, a 15 pounder! she was so excited. eventually caught a blue, about 3 pounds, and a couple big longnose gar. we then decided to move.
    we came to a a little one of the guides lucky spots. i cant say where it was but the fish finder was going ape sh*t. no sooner than we got there he recieved a phone call from a buddy of his who told him the they just opened up the gates on the dam.
    before he told us i could see that something was wrong, and he was real disappionted. he then told us that it was a bit risky for us to be there anymore,and we should go. i reluctantly agreed and we left. with only a few hours of fishing and a total of 6 fish we ended our guided trip.
    we went back to our hotel and rested, it had begun to rain while pulling the boat out so figured we would see if it stopped and try to hit a bank.
    eventually it did and we got to go out for 4 more hours or so, and caught 3 channels that were all around 5 pounds.
    next morning got up early, and no rain....i was praying for this. we got to go out and fish for some skipjack off the bank for a few hours. happily i can say that in those few hours we caught an easy hundred pounds of it!
    all in all i had a pretty good time. the folks around there are real nice, and helpful. our fishing guide was a real great guy, and i got a ton of bait to throw at our local kitties.

oh yeah, and if your down there you gotta try "united steaks of america", hands down one of the best philly steak sandwiches ive had since i had one in philly. its behind "pickwick pro-bass"/gas station.

ill be posting some pictures as soon as i find my cameras.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bad deal ya had to pack and leace after ya found the fish but if a local thinks it's risky, it likely is. Ain't no fish worth dying for. Glad ya got some bait, and sounds like ya had fun. Thats what counts.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad yall had funn. Mo river is still a bear cats seem to have lockjaw. 1 good bite today missed him thats it. Glad ya got some skipps ,fun to catch ant they. Thinking of heading up to fish below mark twain dam Friday night join me if ya want to hoss.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The water is high and rising now. The lake is up in the brush and some parking lots. The river is up in the parking lot below the dam.
    From 1am yesterday am until now the river has come up 9 more feet. Fishing should be great Thursday and Friday. Bam and I plan on going both days, Should put some nice blues in the boat. I love fishing this high flood waters. But then again I was raised about 3 miles below the dam. And fished it all my life. The fish move in close to the banks. Fishing can be tough, but find the right places and its total hook and reel time.
    Pete

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    the only problem i had fishing from the bank at pickwick was the that everytime i gotta bite on one pole and made my way to it, another pole at the far end of my setup would get pulled right out of the rocks and almost in the water. fun, but frustrating. it seemed like they knew which poles to bite at the time i was farthest away from it.....lol cheeky lil' bastards.

anyway here are some pics, check out the one of the dam after they opened the gates.

Attached Files:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That boat in the shot of the dam, when the gates are open good. You have 5 ft waves there. And water coming over the top of the rocks. Hope its like the picture ( That is good fishing) tomorrow and Friday, If so I think we can catch fish until we get tired of reeling them in.:wink:
    But were getting flash floods this am. Schools are closed in Hardin County because of floods. So not looking good for fishing.
    pete

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Pete, If you get a chance to take some pics below the Dam I would like to see them. After being there I cant imagine the water that high.
    Thanks./ Good Luck fishing and Be Safe!!!
    Rob'