Back from Havasu

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by askins00, Aug 16, 2008.

1. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    I just got back from Havasu and boy what a trip. We left Wenesday morning and got there at noon. We launched out of cat tail cove and headed north toward havasu palms. We found a nice campsite on the end of a large cove and dropped our camp gear and headed out for fish. It didn't take long. The arguement my dad and I have had for years is what is the better bait? Chicken livers or artificial dough bait? We would soon find out. Chicken livers started out quick getting the first 2 (5 lbs. and 8 Lbs) But the dough bait came back quick. I was using Catfish Charlies dip bait and Shad extra sticky on a looper rig. I caught 2 next ( 4 lbs and a 7 lbs.) We went back and forth all afternoon even in the monsoon that blew through.
    We were tired and called it an early night we would hit it hard tommorow.
    The next day was hot and miserable it was 116 degrees and no wind and the fish didn't bite al day. We went back to camp to sit in the shade and rest.
    At 6 p.m. we went back out for the night. I was still behind on the count 7 to 4. We found a spot where it backed up to a cliff and off to the right was a point covered with cattails.
    Within minutes I was getting a bite and the game was back on. I caught 4 channels within minutes of each other. Then the livers caught up. The score was tied 9 to 9. The rest of the night belonged to me and catfish charlie extra sticky shad dip bait. I caught 17 more cats before 11 p.m to my dads 3. All channel cats from 5 lbs to 15 lbs. I was a fishing machine. I counld barely keep up as fast as I could get the bait in the water they were bitting.
    WE cleaned up the fish the next morning and we came back sunburnt and talking about when can we go back. WE may go back toward the end of September and hope for the same result 38 cats in a day and a half of fishing. Just an amazing trip.
    And if anyone is going to Havasu look around I spray painted the honey hole I found. You can't miss it.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I love going to Havasu. I have bro-in-law who lives up there. Ive been out on his boat with him but more to cruise around since he's not much of a fishermen. Glad to hear that you all had a good trip.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Hey, Robert, that painting an X in the bottom of the boat over where you caught the fish wont work for us. We'd have to borrow your boat to find the same spot.

4. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    LOL:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Robert welcome to the BOC ..You and dad had a great trip it sound's like .Where in cali do you live? My son's grandpa has 3 house on havasu:eek:oooh: he ask us up there all the time but i aint fishing in 116 degree heat :smile2:

6. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    Actually Tom I painted a "X" on the water.

7. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you had a blast wish I could return to my home state and do a little fishing

8. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I kind of had the same battle with my Grandpa. He swore up and down by the chicken livers. Our battle was livers vs. clams. Needless to say that the clams won. I didn't catch as many as you, but enough to change his mind about liver. Where is this Havasu that you speak of?

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    LOL! I have been banned from going there during spring break!