Back Bay (Pungo)

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by flathead willie, May 21, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went down to see the Grandkids this weekend in Pungo. They live right on Back Bay. I went fishing out of a duck blind and did pretty good. Right at sundown the cats started hitting. I was using night crawlers mostly and caught 6 Blues that were about 6-7 pounds and several more under 6#, along with an eel and about a dozen perch. I hung into one that bent the pole double but it was a borrowed pole and didn't have the drag set. By the time I found the drag, the fish broke the 12# test line. I cut up one of the perch and caught another one on my big cat pole. I'd guess was about 30# but I couldn't get him over the side of the duck blind. He broke the 20# test while I was trying to lift him over the 4' wall. Anyway, it was a good night.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Good job there Willie! Sounds like you had a blast! I think I would have had to jump in the water and wrestle that big fish to shore so I could get at least one picture taken with it!:lol:

BTW....what body of water were you on? Not familiar with Pungo/Back Bay?

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Pungo is actually part of Virginia Beach. It's down Princess Anne Blvd., out in the country but 20 minutes from downtown Va. Beach. Saturday we went to a wedding on the beach at Rudee Inlet and it took about 20 minutes to get there. My daughter lives less than a mile from North Carolina, as the crow flies. I wish I could have gotten the big one in just to take pictures but where the duck blind is there are pine trees all around it for camo and a lot of dead trees washed up there so I couldn't even walk it to the bank. If I'd had a partner and a long handle landing net I could have gotten it in. Oh well, it was fun anyway. I didn't have room to keep any of them because we had a car load of Strawberrys we picked at the festival down there.

4. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Isn't that brackish water,I believe it is.I went down to the beach this weekend and pulled 1 of my dads boats out of the water to presure wash it.He lives on the water at Lynnhaven(thats where I grew up at) we flounder fished sunday at the cbbt nothing over 18 inches though,did you hear about that guy who was fishing on the shore Sunday under the Lesnerr bridge? He had a fish tack his pole in the water so he jumped in after it,it was a out going tide,he couldn't handle the current and his buddy jumped in to help him and ended up drowning.just thought I'd tell ya 1bigblue

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, it's brackish. You can catch Flounder there, too. Sorry to hear about the guys drowning. We lost two guys that were life long fishing buddys right at my house on the James last year within sight of my deck..

6. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The thing about Back Bay is you have to have a fresh water license I bought my dad his salt water license for his boats,I've got mine though.About the tidal fish,I used to fish Surry plant, there are huge fish there but I like to follow them all year round,from spawn to winter at 80 ft sorry to hear about yall's buddy's.i had two of my friends do the polar plunge at a boat slip at Framville both of them landed in the water about 7:00 am. cell phones and all :lol:. How often do you go to the beach? watch that rod 1bigblue:cool2:

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I know exactly where you guys are talking about now. I lived in Chesapeake for a few years before moving to Lynchburg. Went down to VAB all the time. Took a charter out of Rudee about a month ago.

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Nice report Willie. A couple of years ago I went down to Chespeake on business and wanted to try the back bay out, but could not figure out exactly where it was. I know I read good fishing reports about it all the time in the paper, which made it even more disappointing that I did not get to fish it.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    We usually go to the beach two to four times a year. My best friend lives on a boat at Portsmouth Yacht Haven so I go down to hang out with him a couple times a year. Unfortunately, he isn't a fisherman. Then we go see my wife's daughter and her family in Pungo a few times a year.

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    What is referred to as Back Bay covers a lot of area. People call almost anything along the Inland Waterway the back bay. The area around Pungo is all brackish water marsh land so it would be easy to get lost out there without charts or GPS. It's mostly shallow water but has some nice river channels running through it which will drop off to 20 feet or so depending on where you are. Where My daughter lives is less than a mile from the N.C. border.

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Sounds like you had a great trip!

12. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If your go to the beach that often we need to hook up when the winter rock fish season is in! I have them under my thumb in the winter. I want to go to the eastern shore and flounder gig,have you ever gigged for flounder? they do catch some hugh flounder in Back Bay, I didn't no there were blues there now you have opened up a hole new can of beans for me 1bigblue:cool2:

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    My son-in-law was telling me last weekend that they were catching 7 & 8 pound flounder at the bridge a 1/2 mile from his house in Pungo. I haven't gigged flounder but I grew up spear fishing them. You don't even have to fire the spear gun, just swim up and stab them. I used to spend summers in Cape Cod and my uncle, cousins and I would catch them by the bushel from the surf at dawn. I'd love to hook up with you some time. The biggest blue I've caught was only 14 pounds. I'd love to catch a big one.

14. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm down with fishing anytime.I give people hell on here about tidal cats which they do hold the record right now but I know where the new record is coming from:big_smile:.power to them. 1bigblue:cool2:

15. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Barry, I'd like to hook up with you. I need to get down that way more. My wife and I have a time share in Williamsburg that we haven't used in years. She has been itching to get down there to shop and go to Busch Gardens. I told her that if we go there, she can count on me going fishing. I'd rather catch one big Blue Cat than ride all the rides at Busch Gardens. She's into Roller Coasters, I'm into fishing. Different strokes for different folks! I see you fish Buggs Island. I've only been there once and we were after those Green Fish back then. LOL What part do you like to fish?

16. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish there from Jan-Dec,shallow when its warm and deep when it gets cold.I usally fish the mouth of the rivers to Ivy Hill in the winter . PM me your email address and i'll send you some pics,I haven't figured out how to do that on this site,It would probally make some people mad seeing some of our catches 1bigblue:cool2:

17. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Those cats you caught at back bay were channel cats. They have not stocked blues in there yet. They have some awful big channels there. they regular catch citations in Hells Point Creek in north back bay. Little narrows and great narrows is a prime spot.

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    They looked like Blues to me. They had squared off tails instead of the deep "Vee" and a long anal fin. All the channels I catch up here have spots on the sides. I know a couple were channels because of the V shaped tail. I could be wrong, however.

19. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was just reading where the blues are starting to take over the flathead territory along the tidal waterways of Virginia. They said that flatheads in the Rappahannock, for instance, are moving above the fall line and blues predominate in the tidal waters.

Has anyone experienced this? I suppose that it could be happening down there too.

20. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That's how it is now on the lower James.