Back again, want a little advice on fall time catfishing...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Oct 21, 2008.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey all,

Once again, I haven't been on this site in a while. Been doing other stuff but did get some fishing in this summer and caught a couple nice channel cats.

Who's here who was here back when I was on this forum all the time?

My question on fall cattin' -
    I've got a 6-7" shad in the freezer that I caught w/ my cast net a few months ago. Now it's fall and the cats are slowing down. I haven't caught a cat any later than October, and I want to break that wall and catch one when they seem to never bite.

I fish the Harpeth River in middle TN, which averages around 50 feet wide and sometimes down to 15-20 feet wide. The spot I have fished for cats ever since I first caught one is just downstream of a bridge, and is a slight bend in the river where the current makes a very large, slow eddy and the channel is deep (up to 5 feet or so). There are rocks on one bank (this would be the downstream side of the bend) and mud/stones/sediment on the side I usually fish from.

With this info, can anyone offer me any advice on time of day, weather, water level, locations, etc to catch catfish this fall and maybe winter with cut shad or minnow?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some good advice and "hello again" to anyone here who remembers me from a couple years ago...

Tight lines

Jonathan

2. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Try to find the deepest hole in the area,and fish the edges of the hole. If that 5ft. hole is the deepest then you already found it..Your frozen shad will work, sometimes but fresh cut bait is always better. good luck and be careful

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK thanks, that's what I thought, I just needed extra confirmation...I'll use up the shad and see if I can get some fresh minnows (the blunt nosed minnows work best in the Harpeth).

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    go 100 yards up from hole try a float let it slowly drift to the hole maybe take 30 minutes to start to finish cut bait small 1inch by 1 inch

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    May have to try that as well. Will probably bring 2 rods when and if I go. Hopefully soon...