Bachelor Party at Santee Cooper in South Carolina - What's the best place to stay

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by NCCatter, Apr 11, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,
    I'm having my bachelor party at Santee on Memorial Day weekend this year. I was wondering if any of you could tell me where would be the best place to stay. I have stayed at a couple places down there, but they didn't have good water pressure. Where are some good places to stay with good lake access and reasonably priced rooms? Thanks!

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Don't know where you stayed before but Harrys and Blacks Camp are two of my favorites and the owners will do you right.Of course since this is a Bachelor party you might want to get further back in the woods so you can't be found and evidence cant be collected.In any case I would bet you are behind the power curve right now for making a reservation as Memorial Day is one of the busiest days of the year for the fish camps.Let me know where you end up so I can come over and try and talk sense into you! BEFORE you throw your fishing life away LOL;) :rolleyes: :p :) :cool:

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ha! Won't be anything new to tell me to jump ship...Heard that before! I stayed at Black's Camp before (Jan.) and the water was so low we couldn't get out of the cove to go to the lake. I'm a little leery of that. Randolph's is pretty good but I know it will be packed. Never stayed at Harry's but heard people who have. Is it pretty nice?

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Harrys is very nice and located right on the upper end of the canal so you can scoot in bad weather.Don't set any store in water levels in Jan because the lake is normally drawn down to its lowest level then in anticipation of the spring rains.Go to www.santeecooper.com and you can check on the current water levels.In 2002 the lake was at its lowest levels because of a drought but that broke in Oct of that year and it has been pretty full ever since.Jan this year it was 74.50 ft which is two feet below full.Right now it is 75.25 so its only one foot below full.I dont like the new ownership at Randolphs but it is still a decent place to stay.Harry is more centrally located and again you can get back in there in bad weather as it is protected.It is a long dangerous run back to Randolphs across the dam etc in any kind of wind except from the east.Let us know where you go so we can come over and comiserate with you.:cool: ;) :)

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well Jim,
    Harry's had 8 rooms left so I got them all. I messed up and told him it was for a bachelor party, so he's got the wrong impression now. LOL He said that once nighttime came it had to calm down. So that's where we gonna be at. Hopefully we can catch some good cats down there. Where would be a good place to fish during that time? Canal, Marion, Moultrie?

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    All of the above that is of course if you are able to do any fishing.Last Mem Day a 67 lb blue was caught right in front of the camp on the canal.The canal tends to be a Zoo particularly at night unless you anchor up to fish,but some fish are always caught there.Either lake is good depending on which way you fish.Most of the guides drift fish that time of year.Enjoy your last unjustified fishing trip.LOL:) :rolleyes: :p ;) :cool: