Baby skips

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Aug 27, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have been catching baby skipjacks in my net this past week, they are all about 5-6" long and starting to get plump (about 1" thick). I was wondering if I should keep a bunch of these guys to freeze up for later? Didnt know if small ones are as good as the big ones.

Thanks
    Bill

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    keep all of them you can!! that is the perfect size as far as im concerned .. cut the tail off so they bleed and hook them through the eyes!!

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree I would keep them too!!

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I love using the baby ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Or, you can run the hook completely through the eyes, then hook the shad about 3/4 of the way back to where you cut off the tail. I love to get them just a little bit bigger than that and cut them in half just in front of the anal fin, barely cutting into the body cavity; I discard the tail part.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We take what we can catch around here:eek:oooh::tounge_out: small is better than not at all!!!:tounge_out:

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They are plump? Could they be baby Asian Carp ? At any rate KEEP EM' !:wink:

9. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I caught a bunch of baby asian carp while back about 5-8in and they worked good live or dead

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never seen baby asian carp, but if the eye position is similar to that of a large one, it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between them and a skipjack, what with the eyes on the carp setting so low in the head. Almost looks like the carp is upside down, at first glance.

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Actually, I have been catching a bunch of baby skippy's. They seem to be running good. They are pretty easy to distinguish from baby asian carp. However, baby asian carp are much more difficult to distinguish from shad. The easiest way I can tell is the black "freckle" shad have on their side.

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    These are definately baby skips, they look like tarpon. As far as asian carp go havent really been seeing many, all the shad I am catching have the thread on the dorsal fin. I am heading out today to catch a bunch for the vaccum packer/freezer, hopefully the cats like skip popsicles.

Bill

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Keep them, that size is the hardest to catch!

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That's just the size I like on all bait and if you freeze them I still like to hook them in the eyes if there is current. Makes them look like they are swimming.:wink: