Baby pompano as bait

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by katfish hunter, Aug 12, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    When I went out surf fishin I used my cast net and sabiki rigs and caught a bunch of baby pompano about 2-4 inches long. I thought, well there small, so they'll probably catch somthin. So I used them for bait and the first fish I caught was a huge whiting around 5 or 6 pounds. Then I continued to catch fish after fish with these minnows, but they were all sharks. Does any one besides me use them for bait. Am I mistaking these fish for baby pompano maybe. Please help.

2. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Pompano are gamefish, so be grateful you didn't run into any FWC officers while you were out. They really frown upon posession of more than 10 pompano or any pompano under ten inches, and won't hesitate to slap you with a hefty fine. :sad2:

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's very possible your mistaking your baitfish for pompano. Ask some locals your fishing near and see what they say. Save one and ask one of the officers that should be knowlegable about the local fishes.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think your best bet would be to ask some of the "old salts" fishing near you. I think pomp's are a game fish and you could have gotten into a little trouble if the game warden saw them. Did it look like this?
    [​IMG]

5. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Yeh , they kinda did. I wasn't really thinkin to hard when I used em for bait, because I knew I had seen the size regulations somewhere now that y'all reminded me. Definitely won't do that again.

6. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Florida has toughened up on Pomp. restrictions for this year. Don't get caught using one for bait.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    They could have been small jacks,catch a ton of them on sabikis,